18357: Arthur: Tatoune appears in media report shock

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

Charles Arthur writes:

Respect to MICHAEL A.W. OTTEY of the Miami Herald. Is he the first one who
dares to mention Tatoune? Why?

extract from 'Rebels await a new attack', Miami Herald, 9 February 2004:

''We are willing to fight and die if necessary,'' said Ralph Aquissa D'Aout,
a 32-year-old tailor from the Raboteau slum in Gonaives. ``It's a battle that
we're up against, but it's one we will win.''

During the fighting, D'Aout crouched, surrounded by other men equipped with
two-way radios and assault rifles.

D'Aout was clearly in charge, as he called over armed men and boys and
whispered orders. As his men exchanged fire with Aristide's police force, D'Aout
told The Herald he was commanding Force 86, led by Jean Tatoune. Tatoune was
convicted of involvement in the 1994 slayings of Aristide supporters in what
became known as the Raboteau massacre and was one of more than 150 inmates who
escaped from the Gonaives prison in 2002.