18406: charles: confused about status of Andre Apaid (fwd)

From: Philippe Charles <pgcharles@hotmail.com>

What exactly is Andre Apaid's status in Haiti? In 17843, we read the
following in the Miami Herald:

    ''For three years, we have been in a different position than the
    opposition, as a civil society movement asking for a reasonable
    compromise with Aristide remaining as president to give hope to
    the democratic process,'' said the wealthy U.S.-born businessman.

which makes him an American citizen and a Resident Alien in Haiti -
kind of like me, a Haitian citizen living in the US with a green card:
Taxation without Representation.

Next, in 17947, we read the following from AP:

    Its most outspoken leader, but unlikely messiah, is Andy Apaid Jr.
    A factory owner born in the United States, his family fled under
    Francois Duvalier, or "Papa Doc," who ruled from 1957 to 1971.
    With pressed pastel shirts and gold-rimmed glasses, Apaid looks
    more like a Miami businessman than a political activist in the
    Western Hemisphere's poorest nation. Without a constitutional
    amendment, he will never become president because of his dual
    nationality. "I am just as much a part of this country as anyone,
    " said Apaid, 51. "That's why I am saying we must choose another
    path for the country."

As far as I know, Haiti does not allow its citizens to have dual
nationality. Personally, I wish that was not the case but that's another
story.

Finally, we read in 19372 (should have been 18372) the following from
Reuters:

    Andre Apaid, an Arab-Haitian businessman who has been at the
    forefront of the so-called Group of 184 opposition coalition, condemned
    the violence but said it sprang from despair.
    "If it (the violence) has one value, it is that it's attracting world
    attention on the fact that what is here today is bigger than what was
    there yesterday in terms of trouble, and that it is smaller today than
    it will be tomorrow if the world does not address this very quickly,"
    he said.

I assume in this case that the word "Arab" is an adjective. Therefore,
Andre is Haitian. When did he naturalize?
Can anyone shed light on this? It would be great if Andre himself was a list
member and could clarify.