18424: batay: New Union at Ouanaminthe (fwd)

From: batay <batay@batayouvriye.org>

From: Batay Ouvriye

BATAY OUVRIYE

Feb. 10th, 2004
Dear All,
We are pleased to announce, with our comrades of the Codevi Ouanaminthe Free
Trade Zone, that in spite of threats and persecutions, the workers of this
business firm have been able to unite and organize for the defense of their
legitimate and legal rights.
Thus, today, February 10th, 2004, all of the legal requirements for the
registration of a labor union were filed with the Ministry of Social Affairs
and Labor in their central office of Port-au-Prince (rue de l’Enterrement).
We certainly hope that the government will not pretext the national
situation of crisis to slower this simple bureaucratic process, necessary to
obtain legal recognition (“attestation”).
By this message, however, we want to alert the international solidarity,
particularly with regard to repressive anticipatory firings.
A copy of the legal registration documents deposited by the Ouanaminthe «
Codevi » Free Trade Zone Labor Union “SOKOWA” (“Sendika Ouvriye Kodevi
Wanament”) at the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labor is obtainable upon
emailing us at batayouvriye@hotmail.com.
Best regards,
Yannick Etienne