18428: Esser: Rumsfeld on Haiti and leaving things open (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

Uinted States Department of Defense
http://www.defenselink.mil/

News Briefing with Secretary
Rumsfeld and Gen. Myers [excerpt]

Pentagon, Tuesday, February 10th 2004

Question: What about Haiti? Is it just - is the U.S. military
going to be doing anything in Haiti, since it's now seeming to get
even worse?

Rumsfeld: I guess the way to respond to that is that, needless to
say, everyone's hopeful that the situation, which tends to ebb and
flow down there, will stay below a certain threshold and that there's
- we have no plans to do anything. By that I don't mean we have no
plans. Obviously, we have plans to do everything in the world that
we can think of.  But we - there's no intention at the present time,
or no reason to believe that any of the thinking that goes into these
things day - year in and year out would have to be utilized.