18459: (Chamberlain) US-Haiti (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

   WASHINGTON, Feb 11 (AP) -- With the Haitian government locked in a
deadly battle with opponents, the White House on Wednesday issued a rebuke
of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide's government.
   "We are extremely concerned about the wave of violence spreading through
Haiti. And we certainly deeply regret the loss of life," said Scott
McClellan, press secretary to President Bush. "We call on the government to
respect the rights, especially human rights, of the citizens and residents
of Haiti."
   Haiti has suffered increasing violence since Aristide's party swept
flawed legislative elections in 2000 and international donors blocked
millions of dollars in aid. Opponents waging a popular revolt say they will
not take part in new elections unless Aristide resigns.
   The United States and the Caribbean Community, an organization
representing 15 nations, have ruled out military intervention, instead
urging Aristide to negotiate a peaceful resolution with his opponents. The
Bush administration has angered Aristide's government by seeming to hold
him responsible for the unrest which has so far killed more than 40 people.
   "We'll continue to support the efforts of the Caribbean Community as
well as the Organization of American States to help bring about a peaceful
resolution," McClellan said.
   He stopped short of criticizing Aristide's government.
   "Right now, our focus is supporting the efforts in the region,"
McClellan said. "Anytime there is corruption anywhere, there is a concern."