18470: Esser: White House Press Briefing (fwd)

From: D. E s s e r <torx@mail.joimail.com>

The White House
For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
February 11, 2004

Press Briefing by Scott McClellan  (excerpt)
The James S. Brady Briefing Room

Q Two questions, please. The first one has to do with Haiti. The
situation there is deteriorating rapidly, a civil war is going on. A
lot of people have been killed already. How concerned is the White
House about the situation there?

MR. McCLELLAN: We are extremely concerned about the wave of violence
spreading through Haiti and we certainly deeply regret the loss of
life. We call on the government to respect the rights, especially
human rights of the citizens and residents of Haiti.

Q A follow-up on the Haitian question. Besides to be extremely
concerned of this situation, is the U.S. government planning to do
something to help the government of Jean-Bertrand Aristide, as
President Clinton did in 1994?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, what we do -- I think I addressed this a little
bit previously; let me go back to some of what our concerns are and
address that issue. One, we fully support the efforts of the
Caribbean countries and the Organization of American States to
promote a peaceful resolution to the crisis in Haiti. So that's what
we're doing. We do remain extremely concerned about the violence that
is spreading in Haiti, and so we'll continue to support the efforts
of the Caribbean community, as well as the Organization of American
States to help bring about a peaceful resolution.

Q But it seems that the President Aristide doesn't put any attention
to the OAS court or the Caribbean countries trying to help the
situation with his political enemies. Do you think Aristide has been
in government after a corrupt election supported by --

MR. McCLELLAN: You heard, going back to Mexico, where the President
talked about the need to fight corruption and the need for all
countries to take actions to fight corruption and promote the rule of
law, promote democracy. And that's the President's view on those
issues.

Q But do you consider Aristide's government a corrupted one?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, again, right now our focus is on supporting the
efforts going on in the region to help bring about a peaceful
resolution to the situation. Any time there is corruption anywhere,
we are concerned. And that's why we have taken action to work with
countries to fight corruption and to promote rule of law.

Q Thank you.

MR. McCLELLAN: Thank you.

END 1:02 P.M. EST

http://www.whitehouse.gov