18507: (Hermantin) Miami-Herald-S. Florida congressmen call for stronger role in Haiti (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Thu, Feb. 12, 2004

FOREIGN POLICY

S. Florida congressmen call for stronger role in Haiti

BY FRANK DAVIES

fdavies@herald.com

WASHINGTON - Two Florida congressmen Wednesday urged the Bush administration
to take a more active role in Haiti, where political violence has claimed
some 45 lives over the past week.

''The critical message of this meeting is to signal the administration that
we can't wait for the boats to start,'' said Mark Foley, a Palm Beach County
Republican. ``We need to take a leadership role in averting another Haiti
disaster or Florida will be facing chaos.''

BRIEFED ON SITUATION

Foley, Miami Democrat Kendrick Meek, Bartow Republican Adam Putnam and a
dozen staff members were briefed on the Haiti situation Wednesday by Mary
Ellen Gilroy, who heads the State Department's Caribbean desk.

Meek said there was a ''real danger'' that continued violence would prompt
an exodus by boat ''that could mean the loss of many lives at sea.'' He said
he based that warning on conversations he has had with Haitians in Miami and
Haiti.

''Parents don't want their children shot. People don't want their kids
pulled from their homes by thugs -- there's a real fear for their lives,''
Meek said.

''To a large extent we've been ignoring Haiti, assuming it will go away,''
said Foley, who added that he plans to urge national security advisor
Condoleezza Rice ``to make sure the situation is monitored, and not wait
until the pot boils over.''

Meek and Foley said they would favor the involvement of foreign police
forces, including U.S. forces, to help restore peace.

''But we have to show leadership. France, Canada and others will only get
involved if we do,'' Meek said.

STATEMENT ISSUED

The Congressional Black Caucus issued a statement calling for an end to the
violence in Haiti but not repeating its traditional support of Haitian
President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

Plan your next US getaway to one of the super destinations here.
http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx