18516: Leiderman: confusing headline (fwd)

From: Stuart M Leiderman <leidermn@cisunix.unh.edu>

I'd like to call your attention to today's New York Times headline:
"U.S. Officials Hint at Support for Haitian Leader's Ouster".  you'll
note that the word "ouster" comes at the end of the headline, so that
"support for Haitian leader" stands as a solid phrase.  at first glance,
I thought the article was about a turn-around in Administration policy,
but this actually is a classic example of news manipulation by the print
media.  the word "support" is not necessary; including it deliberately
causes confusion.

thanks,

Stuart Leiderman