18573: (Hermantin)Miami-Herald-U.S. to face Haiti in OB (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Thu, Feb. 12, 2004

SPORTS ROUNDUP

U.S. to face Haiti in OB

BY MICHELLE KAUFMAN

mkaufman@herald.com

The Orange Bowl gets a spicy soccer matchup March 13 when the U.S. men's
national team plays an exhibition against Haiti. Both teams are preparing
for the start of World Cup qualifying in June.

''Haiti is an athletic and quite unpredictable opponent, and will provide a
great challenge for our team,'' U.S. coach Bruce Arena said. ``The matches
with Haiti in southern Florida typically provide a very exciting atmosphere,
and it will be a good experience for our players.''

The U.S. team has gone 5-6-3 all-time against Haiti, but the teams have
played only twice since 1983. They last met in the 2000 Gold Cup at the
Orange Bowl; the U.S. team won 3-0 in front of 49,000 fans.

Haiti, coached by former U.S. defender Fernando Clavijo, is one of the
Americans' potential opponents in the semifinal round of regional World Cup
qualifying. To meet the U.S., Haiti would have to get past a two-game series
with Turks & Caicos Islands in the first round, and then a two-game set
against Jamaica. Haiti has qualified for one World Cup, in 1974.

Tickets for the match are expected to go on sale next week through the
Orange Bowl and Ticketmaster.