18584: HAC *** URGENT ACTION TODAY *** Zap the U.S. State Department *** (fwd)

From: Randall White <raw@haitiaction.org>

Send an Unmistakable Message to the U.S. State Department:

NO COUP in HAITI !!!

Phone, fax, e-mail, and send letters to Secretary
of State Colin Powell today.

(For contact information and sample letter, see below.)

BACKGROUND:

In the past week, armed gangs have roamed through
major cities in Haiti, attacking police and
civilians in an increasingly violent campaign to
overthrow the democratically elected government
of Jean Bertrand Aristide. Describing the
so-called "rebel group" leading these assaults in
Gonaives, Scott Wilson of the Washington Post (no
friend of the Aristide government) wrote that "at
its upper echelons the group appears led by
former members of the Haitian military, dissolved
in 1994 when Aristide returned to power, and the
paramilitary group that opposed him." These same
paramilitary forces were responsible for the 1991
coup and the bloody years following. Known as
FRAPH during the coup period, these paramilitary
forces killed thousands and committed countless
acts of torture during that time. Now they have
resurfaced.

The people of Haiti have seen enough of these
thugs before. They have also tasted democracy,
which explains why so many Haitians have taken to
the streets to defend the Aristide government. In
a demonstration in Port-au-Prince on February 7,
hundreds of thousands rallied in support of the
government, vowing to never give in to violence
or intimidation. Marchers held up five fingers to
signify their determination that President
Aristide completes his five-year term. (See
http://www.haitiaction.net for photos of these
demonstrations.)

Rather than support the populace and denounce the
brutal coup attempt, the United States government
has instead seized the opportunity to continue
its assault on President Aristide. On February 9,
State Department spokesman Richard Boucher told
reporters, "We recognize that reaching a
political settlement will require some fairly
thorough changes in the way Haiti is governedÖI
think that could indeed involve changes in
Aristide's position."

In a letter from U.S. Representative Barbara Lee
to Secretary of State Colin Powell dated February
12, the Congresswoman charges:

"I must say, Mr. Secretary, that our failure to
support the democratic process and help restore
order looks like a covert effort to overthrow a
government.  There is a violent coup d'etat in
the making, and it appears that the United States
is aiding and abetting the attempt to violently
topple the Aristide Government. With all due
respect, this looks like 'regime change.'

"This situation demands sustained U.S. engagement to promote
democracy, yet disturbing reports indicate our actions - or inaction
- may be making things worse." http://www.HaitiAction.net/News/bl2_12_4.html

This morning U.S. Representative Maxine Waters
also wrote to Colin Powell dated February 13, the
Congresswoman writes:

"I am outraged at the State Department's apparent
willingness to sabotage democracy and the rule of
law in Haiti.

"It has been clear to me for some time that the
State Department has been trying to undermine
President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, the
constitutionally-elected president of Haiti, and
support the opposition in its efforts to force
President Aristide out of office."
http://www.HaitiAction.net/News/mw2_13_4.html

The Haiti Action Committee condemns the blatant
U.S. attempt to sabotage Haitiís constitutional
government. The State Department has given the
green light to opposition forces in Haiti who are
trying to seize power through violent means --
that which they have never been able to win
through elections. As the violence continues to
mount in Haiti, the U.S. government bears a high
degree of responsibility.

Send a clear message to the State Department:
Denounce all attempts at a coup. Respect the rule
of law. Respect democracy. Respect the
constitutional government of Haiti.

Haiti Action Committee  -  http://www.HaitiAction.net

URGENT ACTION:

Please phone, fax, e-mail, and send letters to
Secretary of State Colin Powell immediately.

  SAMPLE LETTER:

Colin Powell, U.S. Secretary of State
Fax:         202.647.2283 or 202.647.5169
Phone:     202.647.5291 or 202.647.7098
Mail:        U.S. Department of State

2201 C Street NW

  Washington, DC 20520
E-mail: via http://contactus.state.gov/ask_form_cat/ask_form_secretary.html

February 13, 2004

Secretary Powell,

On February 9, State Department spokesman Richard
Boucher told reporters, ìWe recognize that
reaching a political settlement will require some
fairly thorough changes in the way Haiti is
governedÖ I think that could indeed involve
changes in Aristideís position.î This
irresponsible statement represents a thinly
veiled green light to opposition forces to press
ahead with their increasingly violent attempts to
overthrow the democratically elected government
of President Jean Bertrand Aristide.

I urge you to formally and officially reject this
underhanded approach in favor of a negotiated,
peaceful solution to the crisis in Haiti, as
called for by President Aristide, the Council of
Haitian Bishops and CARICOM.  I call on you to
denounce all further coup attempts. The United
States must respect the rule of international
law, the constitutional government of Haiti and
the will of the Haitian people.

Sincerely,

ADDITIONAL CONTACTS (as time permits):

Haiti Desk Officers, U.S. State Department:

   Joseph Tilghman
   Fax:       202.647.2901
   Phone:   202.647.5088
   email: tilghmanjf@state.gov

   Lawrence Connell
   Fax:     202.647.2901
   Phone: 202.647.6765
   email:     unknown

Please help distribute this urgent action call widely.

Fax early, and fax often!!

Thank you for your assistance in this urgent matter.

You may forward a copy of your messages to: haitiaction@yahoo.com