18601: Corbett: Souces of data to check claims made on the list

>From Bob Corbett

Folks,  As I read posts in recent days I get a strong sense quite a few
people are playing very very loosely with facts.  Claims are made about
sizes of places, about recent history and so on.

Perhaps one of the greatest confusions is:  what was said and what were
the perceptions of the two major elections:

2000 election of Aristide as president.
2002 election for seats in Parliament.

Some time ago I did get the web master at Webster U. to load up all the
posts to this list from when I moved to Webster's system in June of 1999,
and up to sometime in late 2002.

There are 12,262 of our posts at:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti-archive/maillist.html

The web master has not followed up with more. that 12,000 + posts through
the university search engine into a mess.  None the less it you go to my
main Haiti page:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/haiti.htm

(not not l on that, htm not html -- just on this one)

There is a search engine.  It will do a full text search of the whole
webster U. system, and that includes my huge web page + those 12,000 plus
posts.

Among those 12,000 posts are many many many newsstories from the time of
both those elections and many other details.  You can get better facts
there and get rid of some of this very loose fudging of facts that is a
very serious distortion on the list these days.

Good hunting.  However, I am NOT going to start posting those posts and
stories all over again.  Nope.  If people want them they are they to get,
but I don't intent to repost any of them to the list now.  Too much new
stuff going on.

Bob Corbett