18669: Esser: Rumsfeld on Haiti (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

United States Department of Defense.
News Transcript
Friday, February 13, 2004

Secretary Rumsfeld Remarks to Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce [excerpt]

[...]

Q:  Mr. Secretary, you began responding or not responding to a Miami
question so I'm going to ask you not the kind you used to get from me
but another Miami question.
You spoke of America's role as the welcoming shore, and events not
far from our shore right now in another nation promise the
possibility of massive, massive dislocations of people. I was
wondering what you have planned to deal with and how you view events
in Haiti today?

Rumsfeld:  Needless to say the Secretary of State and the President
are continuously addressing foreign policy issues, are addressing
that issue. It is always a sad thing to see countries struggling,
trying to find their way, trying to sort through difficulties. It is
something that I am hopeful that the countries of the region and the
international organizations in the region or hemisphere and the world
will interest themselves in and that they will be able to navigate
through what is obviously difficult times for them. It seems to ebb
and flow and at the moment it is not deteriorating that I have seen
in recent days.

[...]

http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/2004/tr20040213-0445.html

.