18731: White: Rev. J. L. Jackson - HAITI: A CALL FOR GLOBAL ACTION (fwd)

From: Randall White <raw@haitiaction.org>

HAITI: A CALL FOR GLOBAL ACTION
Rev. Jesse L. Jackson, Sr.
February 16, 2004 - Boston, MA

Today, we issue this appeal to the U.S. Secretary of State Colin
Powell to honor its historic alliance with Haiti, and intervene to
protect Haitian democracy, a nation imperiled and under seize by
rightwing forces who threaten to overthrow the Aristide government.

Haiti is this hemisphere's first democracy; the Haitian people
celebrated the 200th anniversary of the Haitian Revolution on January
1, 2004.  It is the U.S.'s oldest ally in this hemisphere, assisting
the U.S. during the American Revolution.  Haiti's victory over
Napoleon and stopped the French expansionism in North America, paving
the way for the Louisiana Purchase.  In short, Haiti has always been
there when America needed its support.

But Haiti is also the poorest country in this hemisphere.  And its
struggles for economic development and a modern democracy have been
thwarted.  The rightwing in the U.S. never accepted Haiti's
independence, nor did we properly invest in it.  The U.S. has blocked
humanitarian relief, blocking the bank disbursing hundreds of
millions in approved loans to the Government of Haiti for safe
drinking water, health care, and education.

Cutting off aid to Haiti has deepened the crisis, inciting a cycle of
poverty, pain and reaction.  Furthermore, there is evidence of U.S.
support for an impending coup d'Etat, consistent with historic U.S.
attempts to undermine the Aristide government and thwart its
democratic development.

If the U.S. can spend billions for "nation-building" and democracy in
Iraq, so must it invest in democracy in Haiti, our oldest and strong
ally in our own hemisphere?  U.S. support for democracy must be
consistent, yet the contrast in US policy toward Iraq and Haiti
cannot be ignored.

Today I join with Congresswoman Maxine Waters, Congresswoman Barbara
Lee, Randall Robinson and the Haitian Action Committee in appealing
to the U.S. - Secretary of State Colin Powell, National Security
Advisor Condoleezza Rice, and President Bush - to respect the rule of
law, democracy, and support the constitutional government of Haiti.

In doing so, we appeal to the U.S. to abandon its policy of aiding
and abetting attempts to overthrow the Aristide Government and,
instead, use the resources, power and diplomacy of the United States
to restore order in Haiti.  Is the United States concerned about
restoring the rule of law and democratic rule in Haiti, or is this
another example of "regime change."

Opponents of the Aristide Government rejected calls for a democratic
election, and now are unleashing a violent attempt to seize power
they could not win through elections.  Inaction by the U.S. State
Department amounts to sanctioning the opposition forces.  We
therefore appeal to the Secretary of State to uphold our nation's
democratic principles, and withdraw all political and financial
support to those seeking to overthrow President Aristide.