18768: (Hermantin) Sun-Sentinel-On a mission: Westminster Academy students help others (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

On a mission: On a mission: Westminster Academy students help others in
Haiti

Posted February 18 2004

In January, a group of 17 student missionaries and their chaperones from
Westminster Academy prep school in Fort Lauderdale traveled to Haiti. Their
destination: Pignon, in the island's central plateau region. Their mission:
to evangelize for six days at local churches and to paint the newest of
eight schools that their church, Coral Ridge Presbyterian, helped to build.

Despite fears of political unrest, school administrators gave their blessing
to computer teacher Kirby Williams to lead the team on their first trip to
Haiti. School maintenance employee Matthew Hansley, 20, who lived in Haiti
for 13 years with his missionary parents, served as translator.

We asked junior Joel Piedt, 16, of Lighthouse Point, and teacher Carol Neal
to keep journals of their experiences.

JOEL PIEDT

Friday, Jan. 16

4:16 a.m.: I got up at 3:30 this morning to be on time for the bus, which
leaves the church at 5. Right now it's 4:16, and I'm still at home. I'm so
excited, yet terribly apprehensive. I pray that Christ will give me the
strength I need to be able to deal with what I face.

6:15 p.m.: No words can adequately describe the images I saw today -- images
that will forever be with me. After arriving in the Port-au-Prince airport,
we had to walk and drive a bit to catch our next flight to Pignon. As we
walked, child after child, man after man, came up to us looking for
anything: food, money, anything. But we were told not to give (as much as we
wanted to), because if we did, we would be bombarded. It was heartbreaking
to hear such desperate cries for help. I felt overwhelmed with compassion,
wanting to give everyone everything I had.

We took a small, chartered plane to Pignon. It was an awesome ride over the
mountains. In Pignon, one boy in particular touched my heart. He was
carrying one of our bags, so I told him "thank you." A little later, he came
up to me with a big grin and with his hand held out. But he didn't want
money -- he wanted a handshake, so I did. He smiled and said, "That's for
you." He had given me his friendship. As we got on the bus to go to our
guesthouse, he was on the outside. He tapped my window and said. "By the
way, I'm Nicholas."

At night with so few buildings and no streetlights, the sky is the most
vast, extravagant, breathtaking glimpse of God's glory. Just looking at it
tells me my priorities are all wrong. Everyone stood staring at the stars.
Then we began singing praise songs to our awesome creator.

Saturday, Jan. 17

6 p.m.: Today, I woke up at about 7:30 and took a shower. It was so cold!
But it wasn't that bad. You gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm loving this trip so much. I'm learning about others and about myself.
Today we went to the market. It was so crowded, everywhere you looked people
buying and selling.

We got changed and went to paint the school -- none other than pink!
Needless to say, we left the school looking brand new! We came home and
played soccer with some boys. They killed us. We didn't even score.

Sunday, Jan. 18

9:40 a.m.: When we went to bed, all you could hear was goats crying,
roosters crowing and Mr. Miller (our chaperone) snoring. For some reason,
though, for the first time, I realized we were in Haiti. It kind of spooked
me a little. All I could do was pray for peace.

10:45 p.m.: After church we climbed a nearby mountain with many of the kids.
One boy, in particular, wanted to hold my hand. Every time he needed help, I
would pull him up. But each time I fell, he would pick me up and encourage
me. What a great memory.

A little later we went to the night service. During one song, the lights
went out. In America, everyone would stop singing and start freaking out.
But here everyone kept singing like it was no big deal. After a little
while, the lights came back on.

Then we came back to practice our skits for school visits, followed by a
heartfelt and bonding Bible study on the book of James. Our group is growing
close, and starting to realize that it is we who are poor, and Haitians who
are truly rich. Christ's Kingdom is completely opposite of the world's
superficial standards.

Monday, Jan. 19

10:30 p.m.: Today we visited three schools. On the way to the second school,
our truck broke down. We had to walk the rest of the way. (It wasn't far.)
The third school was a lot farther away. We got to serve students food (some
hadn't eaten for days). The situation reminded me of Jesus feeding the 5,000
for free!

We came back to the guesthouse and headed for evening service. We led the
service and shared testimonies and songs. God is showing me so much. I will
never be the same.

Tuesday, Jan. 20

7:30 a.m.: Time is really flying by. Today is the last full day we will be
in Haiti. Both toilets have broken, so we're using outhouses. The more I'm
here; the more I realize I really need very little. Everything we have is to
make life more "convenient," but it really just enhances my materialism. My
role models have been famous stars. People who are arrogant, have everything
and flaunt it. My new role models are Pastor Sidione and Pastor Jephthe, who
have committed their lives to serving Christ by helping others.

Thursday, Jan. 22

6 p.m.: I haven't written in a few days. I will do my best to describe the
last two days.

We visited more schools, sharing with students the good news of Jesus
Christ. We handed out gifts. It was the only gifts some kids had ever
received.

We then played soccer again. Instead of getting killed like last time, we
actually held our own! We played to 10; it was tied 8 to 8. For a moment, I
thought we would win. But they scored two goals and won.

This trip has taught me so much more than I could have ever imagined. It
truly was a life-changing experience. I learned how much I take for granted,
how materialistic I am and how I need to be more selfless. I have learned to
be content in harsh circumstances. I have grown closer to friends. I have
made friends in Haiti that I will keep. Overall, the trip was physically
draining, emotionally confusing and overwhelming, but spiritually enriching.
But this is not the end of the journey. It is only the beginning of a life
of serving others, and most important, Jesus Christ. And so it begins…

CAROL NEAL

Friday, Jan. 16

8 a.m.: In Miami on a plane awaiting departure for Port-au-Prince. My first
trip to Haiti in 1986 left me heartbroken. The needs were so great and there
seemed so little I could do. We went there to lay the foundation for a
school in Cap Haitien. All along the way, people were begging. One afternoon
we went to the beach. It was beautiful, giving us a glimpse of the island as
God created it. Now nearly 20 years later, the reports we read about and see
on TV are not encouraging. My first trip left me emotionally bankrupt. What
will this second trip hold?

11 a.m.: Port-au-Prince airport. After landing, we're transported to a
smaller airport and board an old 17-seater for a short flight to Pignon.
Leaving Port-au-Prince, we flew over tin shacks packed closely together.
Flying over the water, it was easy to see how the rich dirt was polluting
the water. The mountains were barren. As we landed on the grass strip in
Pignon, "the middle of nowhere" took on new meaning.

Dust is everywhere. The country has been without rain for 26 days, and a
famine seems imminent. An old yellow school bus picked us up and drove us
through the town square by the new Baptist church our host Pastor Sidione
Lucien is building. We pull up to the guesthouse -- an unfinished one-story
concrete building. Chickens and roosters wander the yard. Pastor Sidione and
his wife have 11 children of their own. At any given time 15 to 20 orphans
also live with them. 4 p.m.: Before dinner Elise took her violin outside to
practice and attracted a crowd. Joel plays his guitar as Haitians and
Americans teach each other songs. Then Matthew leads a game of soccer and
the girls play hand games. Dinner was dumpling stew with goat meat. We had
freshly baked bread and Cokes with ice. But how? There are no refrigerators.
Our hosts have gone out of their way to serve us, providing lanterns and new
doors with locks. There is an x ample supply of Culligan water, and they are
having the city bring more water for showers, cold only. There is no TV.
Instead we listen to the sounds of the night that we forget to listen to in
the States.

8:40 p.m.: When we first got there, mostly children filled the New Jerusalem
Baptist Church. The service began at 7:30 and went on until midnight.
Eventually more than 300 children and adults filed in "as the spirit moved
them," as pastor is fond of saying. The enthusiasm of the Haitians' worship
is contagious. It is humbling to be in the presence of their sincerity. We
didn't understand one word, yet we felt a bond.

Saturday, Jan. 17

8 a.m.: It's a beautiful morning. A little corn has been scattered for the
chickens. A lady sits embroidering by the gate. As the team gathers, reports
of sleep vary. I fell asleep to the sounds of the worship service. From the
other side of the building, students said they heard voodoo drums and
chanting. Throughout the night we heard roosters crowing and goats bleating.

10 a.m.: This morning we walked to the busy, crowded market where everything
from kerosene to live chickens was being sold. There were ginger root,
shoes, bundles of little sticks and alcohol. We saw one dead pig being
cleaned to cook. A nurse from the hospital in a starched, perfectly pressed
dress and cap stood out. Donkeys laden with vegetables; women with bundles
on their heads. A man hawking medicine through a megaphone.

11 a.m.: The students went to paint a school while Kaye and I tackled the 16
canvas bags of gifts we brought. For lunch, team members ate Spam -- some
for the first time. I had an interesting talk with two Haitian teens. They
said it was hard going to school hungry. But the boys said education is
their future.

Sunday, Jan. 18

10:15 a.m.: We head to Jerusalem Baptist in Pignon. Again the church is
packed. Everyone is beautifully dressed. Children sit quietly on wooden
benches. Bare ceiling fans whirl. The walls and floor are cement. The roof
is tin. There is no electricity, except when powered by a generator.

Pastor Sidione urged parents to send children to school. "We need to give
the children a chance," he said. The choir sang, accompanied by Elise on the
piano. There was a beautiful blend of Haitian and American voices on the
last line, "Holy God to whom all praise is due, I stand in awe of you." Our
church back home is night and day difference, yet the Spirit is the same.

Monday, Jan. 19

8:10 a.m.: As I'm sitting in the yard writing, a woman and a small child ask
for a handout. We've seen very little begging in Pignon. The team has just
returned from Jerusalem Baptist College, which covers elementary through
middle school. Around 200 students raised the flag and recited verses. They
sang Happy Birthday to Elise in Creole. Our team then shared the Gospel with
them.

>From there we board two vans for a wild ride to La Victoire School.
Sometimes we would go over a hill and the bumpy, dusty road would seem to
disappear. Huge rocks are everywhere. We forded two streams where women
washed clothes and children bathed. Many times the four-wheeler stalls. We
pass two voodoo huts, recognized by flags and a bottle on top of a pole. At
La Victoire we hand out pencils, toothbrushes, candy and kazoos, teaching
kids to play Alleluia, Praise ye the Lord. From there we traveled to Gaspart
to the school our team had painted. We did our presentation, then served
rice and beans, with a little pasta on top. We fed many people, some who had
not eaten for days. We fed the schoolchildren first, then the people of the
village. We fed 300 on $100 for two days. We will do the same tomorrow.
We're feeding physical and spiritual needs.

2:30 p.m.: The team reflects after serving.
A.J.: "I feel anger, sadness, joy."
Kirby: "God has given you resources to serve others. He asked a missionary
once, 'How many times can your heart be broken?' The answer was, 'Many.'."

It's easy to feel our efforts won't accomplish much. Yet this team is the
future of missions.

Tuesday, Jan. 20

9 a.m.: We're on Haitian time. We were supposed to go to two schools but
we're waiting on transportation. No one is upset by the delay. Either Pastor
Sidione or his wife started all eight of the schools and churches we visit.
This morning we traveled to a school called Savanette. What sweet, sweet
children were there! They welcomed us with a song. From there we went to La
Belle Mere, driving up and down hills, past dried sugar-cane fields, small
shacks with waving children, women fetching water from wells. Then our
four-wheel drive vehicle went down a steep cliff, through a fast flowing
river and up another steep cliff. Unbelievable!

La Belle Mere has no clinic, and it is so far away from one. We would like
to help build a clinic here. We gave the children in the school gifts and
some to those peeking in. So many children can't afford to go to school.

3 p.m.: We have the afternoon off. Villagers have brought their wares. I
find it hard to walk by and not buy. They've been waiting all day in the hot
sun. The team probably spent $150 to $200. A teacher here makes $10 a month.

6:30 p.m.: We left for the revival, which was held by the light of one
candle. Tonight we have a generator, but the light coming forth is about
that of a 40-watt bulb. Again a fantastic service, very moving. One of the
vehicles we used that night had been resting on concrete blocks when we
arrived. Two days later it was running. How resourceful the people are.

We packed and then went outside for a final night of singing and worship.
Again the stars were out in all their glory. Beautiful voices were
accompanied by beautiful music from Elise and Joel. And, of course, the
rooster had to add his voice! The little goats were bleating for their
mother after being put in a shed at night to keep the dogs from eating them.
After a few minutes, the animals quiet down.

At about 1 a.m. we went inside for our final night of sleep in Haiti. It was
hard going inside knowing we were leaving the next day.

Wednesday, Jan. 21

7 a.m.: The team leaves for the first satellite school the Luciens started.
The witch doctor who lives next to the school has enrolled his kids. The
story goes that in the morning, he curses the school, then sends his
children.

8 a.m.: The Doxology was appropriately sung. We thanked everyone. The team
presented Pastor Sidione's son Jephthe with $250 -- money they had brought
to spend. The girls presented Jephthe's wife with a necklace. A team photo
was taken, and then it was time to leave. Instead of the 17-seater, a
12-seat plane arrived, so we made two trips. We flew over Pignon. It was
hard taking our final look at this city whose people we had come to love. We
flew over beautiful mountains and vast, barren land. There were dried-up
riverbeds with one small stream cutting through the mountain. We were a
little anxious going to Port-au-Prince. We heard there were strikes during
the week.

3 p.m.: American Airlines is preparing to take off. A few of us were a
little ragged and ready to go home, but we will be taking along with us
memories of a delightful six days. We came away knowing ourselves better and
loving God with a deeper passion.

We came away not knowing what place God has for us in his ministry, but
knowing he goes before us and will show us the way.      Email story
  Print story
VIDEO

Sun-Sentinel's WB39 report
Feb 18, 2004

PHOTOS

A Haitian marketplace
See larger image
(Photo courtesy of Carol Neal)

Students next to the school they helped build
See larger image

Children looking on
(Photo courtesy of Carol Neal)

Kirby Williams
See larger image

> [...]

was taken, and then it was time to leave. Instead of the 17-seater, a
12-seat plane arrived, so we made two trips. We flew over Pignon. It was
hard taking our final look at this city whose people we had come to love. We
flew over beautiful mountains and vast, barren land. There were dried-up
riverbeds with one small stream cutting through the mountain. We were a
little anxious going to Port-au-Prince. We heard there were strikes during
the week.

3 p.m.: American Airlines is preparing to take off. A few of us were a
little ragged and ready to go home, but we will be taking along with us
memories of a delightful six days. We came away knowing ourselves better and
loving God with a deeper passion.

We came away not knowing what place God has for us in his ministry, but
knowing he goes before us and will show us the way.

Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!