18851: Leiderman: "from the trenches"? (fwd)

From: Stuart M Leiderman <leidermn@cisunix.unh.edu>

Date: February 19, 2004
To: Haiti Collective at WBAI-FM, New York City

hello and thank you for your announcement this afternoon.  I will try to
listen to your program Saturday via my computer connection.  meanwhile, I
hope you remember those videotapes I provided you last year as premiums
to your listeners; I have new ones on the important Haiti Summit One
[Atlanta, last October] and the Savannah Monument Groundbreaking Ceremony
[Savannah, last November].  we can also offer them to your listeners.
just let me know what you'd like.

meanwhile, my suggestion for your programming is that you have a minimum
of the same old debate about imperialism, etc. and drop the cowboys and
Indians language of your press release -- we are not influenced by
cliches such as "onslaught," "class interests" and "in the trenches".
instead, why not scoop everyone and arrange direct cell-phone hookups
with the rebels holding Gonaives, Hinche, etc.?  then, New York City
Haitians can decide for themselves if they are bandits, hostage-takers or
statesmen, and whether they should be welcomed into a new government,
trusted with millions of dollars of foreign aid, or just shot on sight.
WBAI has global reach, so why not use it now?  establishing an open line
for daily discussion with the rebels may also help you win a Pulitzer
prize for the Haitian community.  please get back to me if you are
interested.

Stuart Leiderman