18875: Jesse Jackson - Apeall to Colin Powell-withdraw support to those seeking to overthrow President Aristide. (fwd)

From: Erzilidanto@aol.com

Jesse Jackson - Appeal to Colin Powel- withdraw all support to those seeking
to overthrow President Aristide.

HAITI: A CALL FOR GLOBAL ACTION
Rev. Jesse L. Jackson, Sr.
February 16, 2004 - Boston, MA

Today, we issue this appeal to the U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell to
honor its historic alliance with Haiti, and intervene to protect Haitian
democracy, a nation imperiled and under seize by rightwing forces who threaten to
overthrow the Aristide government.

Haiti is this hemisphere’s first democracy; the Haitian people celebrated the
200th anniversary of the Haitian Revolution on January 1, 2004. It is the
U.S.’s oldest ally in this hemisphere, assisting the U.S. during the American
Revolution. Haiti’s victory over Napoleon and stopped the French expansionism in
North America, paving the way for the Louisiana Purchase. In short, Haiti has
always been there when America needed its support.

But Haiti is also the poorest country in this hemisphere. And its struggles
for economic development and a modern democracy have been thwarted. The
rightwing in the U.S. never accepted Haiti’s independence, nor did we properly invest
in it. The U.S. has blocked humanitarian relief, blocking the bank disbursing
hundreds of millions in approved loans to the Government of Haiti for safe
drinking water, health care, and education.

Cutting off aid to Haiti has deepened the crisis, inciting a cycle of
poverty, pain and reaction. Furthermore, there is evidence of U.S. support for an
impending coup d’etat, consistent with historic U.S. attempts to undermine the
Aristide government and thwart its democratic development.

If the U.S. can spend billions for "nation-building" and democracy in Iraq,
so must it invest in democracy in Haiti, our oldest and strong ally in our own
hemisphere? U.S. support for democracy must be consistent, yet the contrast in
US policy toward Iraq and Haiti cannot be ignored.

Today I join with Congresswoman Maxine Waters, Congresswoman Barbara Lee,
Randall Robinson and the Haitian Action Committee in appealing to the U.S.
Secretary of State Colin Powell, National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, and
President Bush - to respect the rule of law, democracy, and support the
constitutional government of Haiti.

In doing so, we appeal to the U.S. to abandon its policy of aiding and
abetting attempts to overthrow the Aristide Government and, instead, use the
resources, power and diplomacy of the United States to restore order in Haiti. Is the
United States concerned about restoring the rule of law and democratic rule
in Haiti, or is this another example of "regime change."

Opponents of the Aristide Government rejected calls for a democratic
election, and now are unleashing a violent attempt to seize power they could not win
through elections. Inaction by the U.S. State Department amounts to sanctioning
the opposition forces. We therefore appeal to the Secretary of State to
uphold our nation’s democratic principles, and withdraw all political and financial
support to those seeking to overthrow President Aristide.

http://haitiaction.org/News/jj2_16_4.html