18874: Esser: Re:18855: (Chamberlain) re 18846: Arthur: Radio Metropole (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

Chamberlain  writes: "...you know perfectly well that in every
ThirdWorld /
developing  / South country "independent" media are understood by all
to be media that are not government controlled." while you refer to
Radio Metropole.

Thanks for sharing that! Now, can you tell us whose definition that
is? "All" might be overstating the case here, since I for one don't
fall in
that category. Good; how then about many or some? Does your statement
mean that there are no truly independent media in the countries you
refer to, or is that just a lumping together for matters of
convenience? If there are independent media, which I can make a case
for if you wish, wouldn't your definition of independent media be
contradictory if it both refers to the independent and the dependent?
If there's independent media in a country such as Haiti, may I
mention Jean Dominique here, isn't all media such as Radio Metropole
that's clearly on one side of the conflict clearly not belonging in
the same category? I quote recent writings of Kevin Pina:

"The Haitian press, most notably Radio Metropole [and others listed] ...
have shown themselves to be wanton whores in the campaign to sow
confusion and panic among the people,"

and

   "Here's how it works" ... "Metropole reports a fabrication; AP and
RFI pick it up for their wire services, then Kiskeya and the others
report it again in Haiti backed by the credibility of the
international press. The positive feedback loop of disinformation for
the opposition is now complete."

You may disagree with Kevin Pina, but one fact is clear: Radio
Metropole is by no stretch of the imagination an independent outlet.
.