18867: Rep. Maxine Waters' letter on Haiti 2-19-04 (fwd)

From: Randall White <raw@haitiaction.org>

February 19, 2004

The Honorable Colin Powell
Secretary of State
Department of State
2201 C Street, NW, Room 7261
Washington, DC  20520

Dear Secretary Powell:

         You have received strongly-worded letters
from members of the Congressional Black Caucus
and other members of the House and Senate, urging
the United States to assist the government of
Haiti to stem the violence that is tearing that
nation apart.  It is unacceptable to say that the
United States government opposes attempts to
remove President Jean-Bertrand Aristide from
office, and yet sits on its hands while Haiti is
overrun by thugs, violent opposition groups and
death squads.  Our government should do all that
it can to ensure that Haitian opposition groups
respond positively to President Aristide's call
for negotiations to resolve this crisis.

         You simply cannot stand by and watch this
situation unfold and not recognize that a coup
d'etat is in progress in Haiti.  Immediate
international assistance is essential to stop the
escalation of violence.  If you are unwilling to
provide assistance from the United States, please
assist the Organization of American States, the
nations of CARICOM and other countries in their
efforts to help stop the violence, disarm the
thugs and death squads and protect the Haitian
people.

         I also encourage you to call for a
moratorium on all demonstrations in Haiti and
urge opposition groups to respect the moratorium.
Many of the demonstrations have resulted in
violent confrontations between police and
demonstrators and between supporters and
opponents of President Aristide.  Additional
demonstrations will surely lead to more violence.
Furthermore, such demonstrations will distract
police officers and make it even more difficult
and dangerous for the police to try to protect
the population from the thugs and the death
squads.

         If the United States allows Haiti to be
overrun by thugs, violent opposition groups and
death squads, I fear for Haiti's future.  Surely
if we do not act decisively to end the violence,
the blood of thousands of innocent Haitians will
be on all of our hands.  Please do not allow this
situation to deteriorate any further.

                                                 Sincerely,

                                                 Maxine Waters
                                                 Member of Congress

MW:ks

cc:     His Excellency Kofi Annan, Secretary General of the United Nations
         His Excellency César Gaviria, the Secretary General of the OAS
         The Honorable Michael Kergin, Ambassador of Canada
         The Honorable Jean-David Levitte, Ambassador of France
         The Heads of State of CARICOM
         The Ambassadors of CARICOM

The Members of the Congressional Black Caucus

         The Honorable Ron Dellums
         Rev. Jesse Jackson
         Electronic and print media