18889: (Hermantin)Miami-Herald-Haiti coasts to 5-0 rout of Turks and Caicos Islands (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Haiti coasts to 5-0 rout of Turks and Caicos Islands

BY SANTOS A. PEREZ

sperez@herald.com

With Haiti facing a mounting political crisis, soccer provided a temporary
respite Wednesday night.

Although the opposition was clearly inferior, Haiti's national team
nonetheless gave its countrymen reason to smile with a 5-0 victory over
Turks and Caicos Islands in a CONCACAF 2006 World Cup qualifier before an
Orange Bowl crowd of about 5,000.

Turks and Caicos, fielding its first entry in World Cup qualifying, was no
match against the faster and more skilled Haitian squad, which rarely needed
to defend its side of the field.

Led by Johnny Descollines' three-goal performance, Haiti controlled the ball
throughout the 90 minutes.

Haiti struck quickly on Jean-Phillipe Peguero's goal in the seventh minute.
Peguero received a crossing pass from Dorcelus Jemps and drilled a shot from
10 yards.

Descollines scored the first of his three goals at the 42nd minute to give
Haiti a 2-0 lead. Roosevelt Desir's pass from the right wing found an open
Descollines, who easily beat Turks and Caicos goalkeeper Gerard Gregg from
just outside the 6-yard box.

Three minutes into stoppage time of the first half, Descollines ran unmarked
toward the penalty area and forced Gregg to leave the goal area to cut
Descollines' angle. But Descollines got Gregg out of position and easily
scored from 12 yards.

After Descollines' third goal five minutes into the second half, Wadson
Corriolan closed the scoring with a penalty kick at the 71st minute.

''I've been thinking about the situation [in Haiti] a lot,'' Descollines
said through a translator.

``If we win these games, we bring happiness to the people back home.''

Haiti and Turks and Caicos will play again Saturday night at Ted Hendricks
Stadium in Hialeah.

[...]

    email this       print this       license this       reprint this

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!