18905: White: Rep. Barbara Lee/Black Caucus Letter to Bush (fwd)

From: Randall White <raw@haitiaction.org>

Press Release from Congresswoman Barbara Lee
Ninth Congressional District of California
U.S. House of Representatives

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
Contact:  Stuart Chapman
February 19, 2004
(202) 225-2661

Congresswoman Barbara Lee Joins With Congressional Black Colleagues

to Send Letter to President Bush Urging U.S. Intervention in Haitian Crisis

Washington -- Today, Congresswoman Barbara Lee (D-CA), Co-Chair of
the Congressional Black Caucus Haiti Task Force, joined her
Congressional Black Caucus colleagues in sending a letter to
President Bush, urging the Bush Administration to assist the
Government of Haiti in its effort to stabilize the current political
crisis and save Haitian lives.

"The Haitian people deserve a quality of life that starts with health
care, education, and basic infrastructure," said Lee.  "But we must
begin with engagement now, with an emergency meeting between the U.S.
and Haitian governments, with cooperation of other countries in the
region to help protect democracy right next door."

The text of the letter follows:

February 19, 2004

The Honorable George W. Bush
President of the United States
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. President:

On behalf of the Congressional Black Caucus, I am respectfully
requesting that the United States government convene a meeting to
directly engage the Government of Haiti in an urgent dialogue to
discuss how we can save Haitian lives.  The Congressional Black
Caucus remains concerned about the political, social, and economic
conditions in Haiti.  As the conditions continue to deteriorate, we
must take action to help preserve democracy and protect human life.

With each coming day, the political conflict in Haiti continues to
escalate, and we feel strongly that the United States must stand up
against the crumbling rule of law.  The loss of life, as a result of
the ongoing social and political violence, is intolerable.  The
United States cannot afford to allow a country in our own hemisphere
to spiral further down into a state of turmoil.

As Secretary of State Colin Powell stated, the United States will not
accept the ousting of Haiti's government by "thugs and murderers."
It is imperative for our government to support democracy and uphold
the rule of law.  Our message to all Haitians should be clear and
direct.  It should include an immediate cease-fire and an end to the
violence, the respect for democracy, and the adherence to the Haitian
Constitution to restore the rule of law.  We strongly urge you to
take action with due haste.  The situation in Haiti, our neighbor and
long-time ally, is reaching a critical point and engagement from our
government is imperative.

We look forward to your response and thank you in advance for your
prompt consideration.

###

C. Stuart Chapman
Press Secretary