18918: White: Message to America (AURN) Tomorrow (fwd)

From: Randall White <raw@haitiaction.org>

NEWS from - CONGRESSWOMAN BARBARA LEE - 9th District, California

For Immediate Release:

February 20, 2004
Contact: Stuart Chapman
202-225-2398

Congresswoman Barbara Lee to Deliver the CBC's Weekly "Message to
America" Tomorrow

Oakland, CA - Congresswoman Barbara Lee (D-CA) will deliver the
weekly Congressional Black Caucus "Message to America" this Saturday,
February 21, 2004. Representative Lee's remarks will highlight the
CBC's call for immediate U.S. engagement with the other regional
allies in the political and humanitarian crisis ravaging our southern
neighbor, Haiti.

Among her comments, Lee will offer the following:

"Historically, Haiti has been an ally to the United States, since
fighting side-by-side with us for our independence in 1776."

"Daily, Haitians are dying as a result of the violence.  These deaths
are intolerable, and the United States cannot sit back and watch a
country in our own hemisphere spiral into chaos."

"This cycle must end.  The U.S. must play a central role in helping
to end the violence and support for democracy."

"Although the Administration has failed the Haitian people, the
members of the Congressional Black Caucus feel strongly that the
United States must stand united with the people of Haiti and against
the current violence facing them."

"Democracy in Haiti is in grave danger."

                                                           ###

The CBC "Message to America" is distributed nationwide to the
American Urban Radio Networks' (AURN) affiliate stations.

             WHO:              U.S. Representative Barbara Lee (D-CA)

             WHEN:            Saturday, February 21, 2004; 12:06 p.m. EST.

             WHERE:          American Urban Radio Networks Affiliate Stations