18926: FW: Hoover responds to18895: Corbett: 20,000 American in Haiti and should leave???? (fwd)

From: "Hoover, Julie H." <Hoover@pbworld.com>

I, too, was surprised to hear there are 20,000 U.S. citizens in Haiti,
even with the estimated 25 percent missionaries, until I started
thinking about all the Haitian-Americans I know here in New York who
have U.S. citizenship but have gone back to Haiti for various reasons.
I suspect the biggest group are retirees.  Also know of families who
send their teenagers back for better-disciplined high schools, people
with aging/sick parents there, and a few with needed skills. There are
probably many more reasons for this migration back to their homeland.