18947: Pilling: 20,000 American in Haiti and should leave???? (fwd)

From: Sara Pilling <sara.pilling@verizon.net>

Sara Pilling here - I too have wondered about the 20,000 'Americans' in
Haiti. Having mulled this over in my mind all morning [Hmmm-didn't I have
something better to do?] I have a few questions of how they/we would even
come up with such a figure:
Some thoughts -
1- Are these the 'Americans' that actually register the embassy? I.e., how
does the US know we are 'in country'? I've been traveling to Haiti on a
regular basis for 17 years now - never once have I registered, and,
actually, was told by others not to.
2- do they perhaps learn about us through our immigration documents?
Certainly, when a delegation of us arrived in PAP in 1993, coming at the
time of the 'US embargo' [in parens because Eastern was still flying and we
had no trouble coming or going] When the State Department/Embassy folks
found out that we were there, as guests of eglise Methodiste, they were
dumfounded.

I am scheduled to leave for Haiti March 13 - having trouble, at least last
week, getting into the Wall Guest House [it was that full - no extra beds!]

So, can anyone give me some insight on who stops the airlines from flying?
And what indicators should I use to decide NOT to come? Right now my
inclination is yes, of course, do come - any thoughts?

Sara Pilling
Scholarship soley