18951: Blanchet: Fw: [Daily-briefing] Daily Press Briefing (February 20, 2004) (fwd)

From: Max Blanchet <MaxBlanchet@worldnet.att.net>

                          Daily Press Briefing
                           Statements made by
              the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesperson
                              (excerpts)

                       (Paris, February 20, 2004)
      [Please note that only the original French text issued by the
      French Ministry of Foreign Affairs may be considered official.
                   ( http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr )]

 HAITI
 =====

 Q - Can you confirm that France will be part of the international
 commission which is to go to Haiti with the intention of trying to restore
 a semblance of peace?

 Yes, in view of the deteriorating situation in Haiti, intensive
 consultations are taking place among the interested parties on the
 regional and international level, specifically the OAS, CARICOM, Canada,
 the United States, Mexico, Brazil and South Africa around an action plan
 to resolve the crisis, part of the mediation efforts by the OAS and
 CARICOM.  Consultations have focused on the political aspect in order to
 identify the conditions for resolving the crisis as quickly as possible
 around the OAS/CARICOM action plan.

 In the context of this consultation, it was decided that a mission should
go to Port-au-Prince today to present the action plan to the Haitian
government, the legal opposition and civil society.  France will take part
in this mission and will be represented by its ambassador to
Port-au-Prince.

 In France's view, international mobilization should also focus on
humanitarian action and the protection of human rights. In this context,
the UN must play its full part.

 Q - What other countries are involved?

 The mission includes the US, Canada, France, the OAS and CARICOM.  I
invite you to go to the OAS for the exact list of participants.

 Q - What are the main lines of the action plan?  From the humanitarian and
human rights standpoint,  would France want specific action on these two
fronts?

 We are still at the stage of discussions.  The main thing is that the
international community is mobilizing and holding consultations about an
action which is still in the process of being formulated.

 Q - But I thought it was precisely to present this action plan?  That
means it's already been drawn up, formulated.  What are they going to
present if it's not ready?

 The main thing is calling for dialogue, inviting President Aristide and
the opposition in Haiti and considering with them various possible
approaches, inviting them to dialogue and to act, as the minister said.  I
'd like to refer you to the interview he gave Le Figaro yesterday in which
he insisted on the need for action. On the French side, we attach
particular importance to the consideration of the humanitarian and human
rights aspects.

 Q - Is France, which has quite a few assets in the region, mobilizing from
the humanitarian standpoint?  Are preparations under way?

 As I said before, discussions are continuing.  There is an emergency, and
that is why the mission is going to Port-au-Prince.  But we're continuing
to think about the response, especially with the United Nations. But this
is a mission in which France is participating, not a mission led by
France.  So I suggest you put your questions to the OAS and CARICOM.

 Q - Do you have an emergency plan to pull French nationals out in the
event things take a turn for the worse?

 Our embassy is closely following the situation of our 2,000 nationals
 there.  We have about 2,000 French citizens in Haiti, nearly 1,700 of them
in Port-au-Prince. Our post is permanently mobilized and is following the
situation by the hour;  it is therefore anticipating measures that may need
to be taken
depending on how the situation evolves.