18956: Raber: Re: 18938: (Chamberlain) U.S.-led mission seeks end to Haiti bloodshed (fwd)

From: P&M Raber <raber@valkyrie.net>

This entire deal about Aristide accepting whatever international mediators
are telling him to do is Deja Vu all over again.  In the past he has always
accepted everything foreign countries/diplomatic organizations said but
somehow never implemented what he agreed to.  This time it will be even more
difficult for him to implement change as he is losing whatever control he
had by the hour.   All previous post-Duvalier governments did the same
thing: they would always agree with whatever foreign governments would say
but would not execute any changes.  Anyone who has lived in Haiti knows this
"Oui, Oui" syndrome.  Students will pretend to understand a lesson,
bystanders will give you bad directions to a place you are looking for,
people in power will pretend to agree with you to buy time or to please in
an attempt to look good.

One must wonder why Aristide wants to hold on to power.  It is obviously not
for the good of the country since more and more blood is beign shed and
people are poorer than ever.  His behavior reminds me of an unfit mother who
keeps getting custody of her repeatedly abused children from social services
just because she gave birth to them.   What is the best interest of Haiti in
this?  Sounds like foreign countries are not wanting to get in bed with
Aristide by coming in to help him retain power.  Also sounds that he is not
wanting to resign on groound that he was elected.   I am sure that if his
departure was planned in advance, foreign  countries/UN  would be more
willing to come in an prevent the rebels from gaining control unitl proper
elections could be held..

He did say last week that he is willing to die for Haiti.  There is the
scary thought that he actually WANTS to die for his country.  Under Preval,
the rumor in Haiti was that Arsistide did not wish for foreign aid to be
unblocked as HE wanted to be the messiah who would start social change and
rebuild Haiti under his second term.   He was not able to rebuild Haiti.
Maybe this will lead to the ultimate fantasy that he will redeem the country
by dying for it?   Maybe he is just selfish and only wants power and
control?  Ever heard of the disgruntled spouse in a custody battle who kills
children (and at times self ) so the other party won't get them? Of course
unless he plans to die at his own hand (very doubtful), Aristide dying in an
armed revolution will be the absolute worse thing that can happen to Haiti.
At this time he is the bargaining chip that can be used to negotiate with
all opposition groups (184, civil societey, students, armed rebels).  By the
interviews I see on the news, he appears to be satisfied that the
international spotlight is currently on him.

I hope the international community steps up to the plate on this one (but
keeps the likes of Maxine Waters out of it).