19006: Dorce: Re: 18944: Kathleen: Re: 18927: Simidor: Credibility anyone? (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 2/21/04 11:44:06 AM Pacific Standard Time, Kathleen
<kathleenmb@adelphia.net writes:

<<  I am appalled by the degree of  ignorance and lack of experience, not to
 mention independence, expressed by certain black U.S. leaders and
 spokespersons, as if they actually knew what Haiti was like on a day to day
 basis, solely because of  matching skin tone. What do I know about the
 Bosnians?  As much as the Robinsons know about the Haitians.  Mr. Robinson
 obviously does not have to live under the influence of Mr. Aristide, and
 Mrs. Robinson is a well-paid (by the govt. of the "poorest country etc.")
 lobbyist for Aristide. >>

I don't know where you are getting your information but in my opinion, the
two women who have had the cojones to put Powell on the spot, are heroic.  The
male side of the Black Caucus has been shamefully silent with regard to
supporting the democratically elected government of Haiti.  These women may have
stopped this government from letting this coup happen, or even helping this coup
happen.  Thank God for their courage in coming to Haiti at a time when male
counterparts were too scared to, seeing things for themselves and for standing up
for a besieged government that has been tarred and feathered by most media
groups and international goverments.

I too am appalled by the degree of ignorance, lack of decency not to mention
lack of character, but of those in the opposition who will not denounce in the
strongest language possible the actions of the criminals in Gonaives and Cap
Haitien, most particularly Guy Philippe, a former police chief turned traitor
and Louis Jodel Chamblain, the former vice president of the Front for the
Advancement and Progress of Haiti (FRAPH)  (pardon me while I choke on that benign
sounding acronym).  I mean why don't seemingly respectable opposition leaders
like, oh say, the head of the MPP (Peasant Movment of Papaye) Chavannes
Jean-Baptiste, who says disingenuously that he shares the goals of the convicted
killer of Guy Malerie but not his methods.  Well really....is this the best he
can do, because he cannot have it both ways.  Is he for Chamblain or is he
against him?  A person and his behavior cannot be separated.  Is this the
position of all of the opposition or just those who want nothing more than to see
Aristide dead.  For me, Jean-Baptiste and his ilk are just as guilty of murder as
Chamblain and his ilk.  Just because his hands are cleaner doesn't mean he is
absolved of the crime.

Kathleen, you are a white American just as I am.  I am atempting to
understand how you can spend time with the Haitian people and not feel compassion for
them and their 200 year struggle.  They have finally elected a man who wants
their lives to be better and their lives have been made worse because of the
wealthy power in Haiti stonewalling any progress made in that sector.  He is not
perfect, he has not been able to deliver.  Why do you suppose they still
support him in impressive numbers???  When their lives have only gotten worse?  I
will leave the obvious answer to you to figure out.  As for the poor
downtrodden wealthy elite and their intellectual lesser brothers and sisters, allow me
to laugh in their collective faces.  They have had control of Haiti and have
failed.  Maybe they should try working WITH the government instead of trying to
destroy it.  If a wealthy or middle class person (the group I am assuming you
are championing) wants to live unmolested in Haiti, I suggest they not work to
overthrow the government.  I would imagine the same thing to be true in the
USofA.  No brain surgery here, just common sense.

One may be more myopic when inside the forest than from standing back with
some perspective.

Kathy Dorce~