19015: Esser: Eyewitness: Behind rebel lines (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Published: 2004/02/22 18:16:09 GMT

Eyewitness: Behind rebel lines

Simon Pluess of the International Committee of the Red Cross was one
of the first foreign aid workers to reach Gonaives, in northern
Haiti, since rebels took control there early this month. Arriving
after a battle had erupted inside the main hospital, he tells BBC
News Online of the conditions in the rebel-held city:

The city is blocked by containers, so vehicles and trucks cannot move
into Gonaives, although people can move in and out on foot or on
motorbikes.

Some people in the city don't leave their houses but many people do
move about. There is no shooting, not even at night.

But last Monday when doctors arrived at the hospital they found it
closed and empty of doctors and patients.

No electricity

There had been a shooting incident inside the hospital. Doctors were
too afraid to work there and people too afraid to go and seek
assistance.

There were some people with bullet wounds who were doing badly. We
treated 10 people with bullet wounds... if they had not have received
treatment then they would have died... Some of them had gone to
traditional healers.

We have heard reports of rape but cannot confirm them.

There is food stuff available on the market. But it will not be
enough if the situation continues.

People were very vulnerable before this present conflict. When armed
conflict imposes on this type of situation, things can get out of
control.

Burnt out cars

The electricity has been cut which means the water pumps cannot
function. If people start drinking water which has not been treated,
disease will spread. We may send up a convoy with aqua taps.

Our first priority is to make medical sites work

The city has a population of about 200,000. I had a surrealist
impression. People are moving around but there are burnt cars, the
prison has been destroyed and there are armed people patrolling the
streets.

All the police have fled.

There cannot be assistance at hospitals if patients don't dare to go
there.

People have to respect that somebody from the enemy camp can be
treated there... and you cannot chase after him.

© BBC MMIV
.