19024: (Hermantin)Miami-Herald-Letters to the Editor (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Mon, Feb. 23, 2004

PERSPECTIVES ON HAITI

Re Feb. 19 editorial Set the right priorities in Haiti: The time has come
for a multinational-peacekeeping force to be put in Haiti. Without
supporting either the current Haitian administration or the rebel forces,
peace must be the objective of all right-minded people. It is time for the
United States to be in the forefront of this effort.

Why hasn't the United States led the effort for peace? Perhaps because Haiti
has no oil. Until the United States recognizes that its global role means
that we must help even those countries from which we cannot profit, we will
never be a leader among nations.

JACQUES A. DESPINOSSE,
Miami

The Herald's editorial says that Haiti's fundamental problem is being a
failed state. The real problem is population, which has ballooned to seven
million. According to some Haiti experts, this is three times what the tiny,
denuded nation can support. They blame the Catholic Church, which has
consistently discouraged any efforts at controling the exploding population.

Any military or political intervention in Haiti is doomed to fail until this
fundamental problem is addressed.

GARD E. NORBERG, Dania Beach

Why is it not surprising that Haiti is poorer now than after Duvalier's
departure in 1986 and that sometimes democracy and aid are not enough to
promote economic growth and stability? Once again the World Bank and the
International Monetary Fund have failed by providing aid that is used only
to increase government consumption with no positive effect for the
population.

J. TOMARCHIO, Coconut Grove

No, this administration should not go into Haiti. We tried that a while back
and were asked to leave. Why does The Herald say that, ''Democracy takes
time'' regarding Haiti, yet seem to be in a hurry-up mode concerning Iraq?

C. HAGEDORN, Miami

Stay informed on Election 2004 and the race to Super Tuesday.
http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx