#895: Re: #870: ACN: Augustin replies to Kozyn

From: felix Augustin <felix_augustin@hotmail.com>

Dear John Kozyn,

I read your response letter about CONATEL's decision to shut down ACN.
Living in the US and witnessing day after day the growth of the internet,
how can you say that CONATEL's action has nothing to do with the abrogation
of free speech in Haiti.  Shutting down a company like ACN proves that
CONATEL wants Haiti to always be in the dark and to keep Haitians from
reaching out to each other via the internet which is a powerful
communication medium.  It is obvious that 10 years from now, the internet
will be the determining economical and educational factor between countries
that take advantage of it now and those that don't.  CONATEL's action is
simply to perpetuate the long time monopoly that old fashionned, ill-equiped
TELECO maintains in the Haitian communication industry.

You mention the following: "The Executive Committee of the National
Telecommunications Council (CONATEL)of the Republic of Haiti proceeded with
a series of surprise visits on September 27, 1999 to its license-holders
following complaints from the national telephone company (TELECO) that
international calls were being fraudulently diverted... Subsequently,
CONATEL temporarily suspended the usage license granted to the firm.
Another visit was made the same day to the firm DIGICOM in Boutilliers
[north of  Haiti?s capital Port-au-Prince] where unauthorized equipment was
also dismantled and placed under seal."

This is pure MACOUTISM.  How do you explain that the international calls
made by ACN were fraudulent?  What do you mean by the unauthorized
equipment?  That's belony!  It is all about: COMPETITION, MORE CHOICES,
TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION, BETTER SERVICE.  What ACN, DIGICOM and other
Haitian Internet Service Providers (ISP) are doing for Haitians are exactly
what all other internet companies around the globe are doing so that their
people can have the same exact privilege that you an I are enjoying in the
US.  Why can't we have it in Haiti? Just because Bell Atlantic provides me a
local phone access or because AT&T is my long distance carrier does not mean
I can't use the internet to bypass their connection.  This is done every
day.  Companies like AT&T, MCI, Sprint have to keep up with the
technological change but they cannot ask the government to shut down AOL,
DELTA THREE, or NET2PHONE who allow people to use the internet to make long
distance phone calls.

CONATEL's action is simply Dum (with a capital D) especially when it fails
the consider the impact on other businesses and individuals connecting with
ACN.  Let me tell you this: One cannot stop technology.  The need for
communication is there and it must be satisfied with or without ACN.  Teleco
lags behind in technology. It cannot respond to the new demand of the
internet.  If CONATEL cares about Haiti, it should open the communication
market to the new companies and let TELECO, because of its infrastructure,
be the supporting force behind these companies in this new wave of
communication era.

Thanks
Felix Augustin