#1014: 100 Good List Members Needed Now!: Kozyn responds

From: John C. Kozyn <jckozyn@mnsinc.com>

> >100 List Members Needed to Sign the Declaration of Conscience on Behalf of
> >Haitians and Dominicans of Haitian Descent in the Dominican Republic.

> Voicing our concern for Haitians in the D.R. is important, but I'm not sure
> the timing for publishing a petition is right.  Was it not the OAS
> denunciation of Dominican injustice towards Haitians that caused the
> Dominican govt. to react by deporting Haitians.  Will putting more pressure
> on the D.R. at this point in time help resolve the problem or create further
> atrocities towards Haitians?

I'm not sure that the timing had anything to do with it at all. In any
event, fear of another's reaction should not influence a protagonist
from doing the right thing. In this case, the IHRC _did_ the right
thing. Grassroots activism in support of a (in my mind) moral good
should likewise be encouraged. I read today that the Caribbean Human
Rights group similarly denounced the DR's action. Should they have kept
quiet? I don't think so.

John Kozyn