#1073: American Baptists on Haitian Deportations (fwd)

From: Daniel Schweissing <dan_schweissing@hotmail.com>

Declaration on an Issue of Importance:  The Dominican Republic

American Baptists have been called to participate in God?s saving mission
in our world.  As we proclaim the lordship of Jesus Christ, we pray and
work for the coming in all its fullness of God?s Reign of justice, peace
and abundant life.  Part of our work for the last hundred and sixty-four
years has been devoted to the peoples of the island of Hispaniola.  We
realize that the complex and sometimes difficult history of the
relationship between Haiti and the Dominican Republic has led to vastly
different perspectives on the current situation.  Nonetheless, we are
shocked and saddened by the recent actions of the government of the
Dominican Republic against the Haitians in their midst.  The massive
expulsion of people of Haitian descent is an offense to the God of the
widow, the orphan and the sojourner.
Therefore, we call on American Baptists to:
· Pray for our Haitian and Dominican brothers and sisters;
· Pray for those in the Dominican Republic who are suffering injustice and
for those         who are doing injustice;
· Approach our elected officials and urge them to use their influence to
promote justice
        for Haitians who live and work in the Dominican Republic.Policy
Base:
        American Baptist Policy Statement on Human Rights
        American Baptist Policy Statement on Racial Justice

Daniel M. Schweissing
dan_schweissing@hotmail.com

Visit the Center for Haitian Ministries' Website at
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Cyprus/5491