#1486: Airport taxes etc. : Delatour asks

From: Mario L. Delatour <mardel@gol.com>

Can anyone PLEASE tell me of another country where one pays a $30.00
departure tax ? The $25 we were paying up until now was already high
enough,and now they've hiked it another $5.00. Whose bright idea was this
one?
Is this how the government plans to remodeled "L'aeroport International de
Mais Gate"?
For years we have tried in vain to bring tourism back,for the few that have
trickled back,is this how we plan to reward them? We milked them one last
time at the airport before they leave "HAITI CHERIE".
When all had failed to bring back tourism to the levels that we knew in the
70's,we discovered
that Haiti's new tourists would be the "DIASPORA". What kind of a message
are we sending to our Haitian brothers and sisters that are working hard
overseas and are naturalized US citizens ? Come to Haiti spend ALL your
money on your family and your relatives and your distant relatives and
then, pay some more to the
government. YOU'ALL COME BACK NOW SUCKERS! WE LOVE YOUR MONEY.DONT FORGET
NOW,WE DONT TAKE GOURDES WE WANT CRISP DOLLAR BILLS.

What kind of a message are we sending to the Hotel owners who have invested
heavily to upgrade their facilities in recent years.That the Public sector
is once again working hand in hand with the Private sector to bring back
tourism. I would love to hear what Maryse Penette our  dynamic "Secretaire
d'etat au tourisme" has to say about that one.Maybe that starting next
year,for the preparations of the bi-centennial grand anniversary of 2004
we'll hiked it another $10.00. Why not. For years I have waited for a new
arrival hall at "Mais Gate" I guess the "Mais Gate" are really "Gate".

I dare say that whoever came up with this bright idea has been ill advised.

Maybe I am just one irate SUCKER but lets recognize it for what it is. A
RIP OFF.