#1773: Nekita's Last comment on Maintenance (fwd)

From:Nlbo@aol.com

Corbettland,

I just want to say one last thing in the topic of Haiti's physical
maintenance.
Delatour and others had referred to authors like  George Corvington, George
Michel, Barthelemy. I made reference to Louis Joseph Janvier's 1882 comments
in a text I wrote recently for windowsonHaiti. Things are not any different.
The common says is" History repeats itself. In Haiti's case, "L'histoire
continue". ( History continues)

In regards to Auguste's comments regarding those in the diaspora should and
can help, I spent 20 years trying to help Haiti in some ways. Last summer, I
sent a 3 page post giving personal accounts on  Haiti's inability to receive
help from the diaspora. As a veteran educator, I spent 6 weeks trying to
volunteer in some capacity. No one wanted my help. I gave more details last
summer.

 I believe the recent fire in Jeremie started the conversation of lack of
maintenance in Haiti, because of a fire truck that could not be delivered in
that southern coastal town.  First of all, the truck never made it to Jeremie
and subsequently numerous anecdotes were given that substantiated even if the
truck had gotten there, it would not have been available to extinguish the
fire; and if the truck works, it is not always filled with water. Someone
told me there is nothing so comical in P-au-Prince as fire trucks going
around the city  fetching for water while a place in burning down. Those
sceneries are observed during major fires in La Saline and  Cite Soleil.

Those in the medical field had also  talked about senseless bureaucies they
have to endure trying to bring medicine in  hospitals and clinics in Haiti.
Therefore , it will not be fair  to blame just one group of people for
Haiti's physical destruction , be it the elite or the mass.  Every segment of
Haiti's society is responsible for its deteriorating situation.

Nekita