#1787: Re: The Diaspora: the most dangerous Haitians (fwd)

From:cmr@bellsouth.net

Max, thanks for sending this article to me.  I read it with great
interest.

I would like to add that this diaspo conversation is not new, I
personally heard it from one of the most successful business figures in
Haiti back in 1986.  This is a label that goes back to Francois
Duvalier.  Outsiders are looked at the same way by all totalitarian
governments, Duvalier, Castro,etc..  I don't mean to compare Duvalier
with Castro, but from this standpoint, they act the same way: outsiders
are bad influence on the locals, they can expose the other side of life
they normally do not see.

This attitude, as far as I am concerned, is probably 50% of our problem
in Haiti.  Most of the other islands, as I have witnessed, advertised
jobs in local newspapers and require experience abroad to qualify for a
given position.  I have seen it in Jamaica, in the D.R., St. Lucia.  I
understand it is also practiced in Trinidad.

I do not hold the key to the socio-economic development in Haiti.
However, I can say that haitians in Haiti alone can not do it, neither
can diaspos do it alone.  It will take a team composed of both to make
it happen.  Otherwise, we might as well sit and wait for a miracle.

As stated in the article, there is a great number of qualified
professionals among us abroad.  They are appreciated by a small group of
people, not significant enough to make the difference.  Diaspos are not
welcome simply because locals, in general, have no choice but to believe
in the "ote toi que je m'y mette" policy.  They believe they survived
the tough times under Duvalier, they don't want to allow diaspos to come
and take over.

Until everyone puts all of this behind and look forward to the real
issues, we will all continue to talk, but no action.  I only wish that
we would follow the track of Nelson Mandela.

I am in favor of democracy in Haiti, but we need a transition period.

The complexity of our problems can scare the bravest of us.

Claude