RE: The Taylor City Belt Line : Mike adds more wonderful theory

I am very impressed with Mike's marvelous theory, stage 2:  the FORD.
But, how in the world can this be verified or disproven?  I'm a nut on
hard evidence!  Take a look at Mike's addition.

From: Mike Hefele <mhefele@paulo.com>

Bob,

The small apartment buildings on Oakland, just east and west of  Sanford at
Oakland, were not built until about 1960. Why not in what should be prime
real estate on Oakland Ave? I was told the reason is because the lot on the
south-east corner of Sanford and Oakland has a habit of sinking into an old
mine.

However my map of the old mines does not indicate there were ever any mines
at that location.

Could the sinking be soil settling into the old ditch or ravine from the
rail road?

 Finally, where does the name "Sanford" come from? It is common for railroad
tracks to follow rivers or even large creeks.

Did it refer to a "ford" or creek crossing somewhere along its length?

North of Clayton, between Louisville and Childress, the lowest elevation is
the alley east of Sanford.

South of Clayton, between Louisvile and Childlress the lowest elevation is
the alley that starts at Wade and turns into Sanford.  The creek that had to
be there before the sewers were installed perhaps had a low water crossing
or "ford".

Yours truly,

Mike Hefele