19044: Tropictrix: Re: 18993: Rowley: Learning Creole (fwd)

From: Tropictrix@aol.com

Don,
I studied creole at the Foreign Service Institute and can sympathize with your frustration at the lack of teaching material available to learn it.  How are you learning it now?  It is, in my opinion, an incredibly simple form of french with some spanish and english thrown in.  The Pimsleur course doesn't give you enough to really do anything with other than the simplest of expressions and introductions.  A missionary in Haiti, Wally Turnbull, wrote a book called "Creole Made Easy" which is pretty good.  I understand that there is now a pronunciation CD to accompany it and both are available on Ebay.  Check out the University of Indiana, as well.  I believe they have a department devoted to the creole language.  i think they may also sell instructional materials, as well.  Hope this helps.  Bon chance!

Thomas Bergman
St. Louis, Mo