19087: (Hermantin)Sun-sentinel-Haiti's upheaval chagrins dancer (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Haiti's upheaval chagrins dancer

By Alva James-Johnson
Staff Writer

February 24, 2004

For 69 years, Katherine Dunham has tried to help Haiti.

In the 1930s, the famous dancer and anthropologist, considered the matriarch
of African-American dance, fell in love with the country and documented its
ritual music and dances.

In the 1940s, she bought land near Port-au-Prince and began developing a
botanical garden. In 1992, she went on a 47-day hunger strike at age 82 to
draw attention to the plight of Haitian boat refugees.

But now at age 94, Dunham looks at Haiti's current condition and feels
helpless. The country is in political turmoil, squatters occupy her garden,
and her plans to spend her latter days in the Caribbean country are in
jeopardy.

"I certainly don't want to be living there and trying to preserve a little
peace in the midst of a revolution," Dunham said Monday during a visit to
Miami. "I'm really devastated. I didn't think things would go this far."

Dunham, a resident of East St. Louis, will speak today at Florida
International University.

In the late 1930s, Dunham started her own dance school and touring company
in New York City. She traveled to 48 countries during her career performing
in musicals, operas and cabarets and is credited with influencing the
careers of Alvin Ailey and other great black performers.

In 1935, Dunham traveled to Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad and Martinique to
document the rituals through film, musical recordings and photographs. After
living in the region for 18 months, she fell in love with Haiti, adopting
the country as her second home.

"Haiti was the first black republic in the Western world," she said. "The
people had a sense of having won their independence and were proud of it.
But now the country is just full of desperate people, and the government is
not able to do what it has to do, which is to feed everybody."

Her Port-au-Prince property is a 25-acre tract of forested land, which has a
variety of plants native to the country. Dunham has spent the past few
decades transforming the property into a botanical garden.

Dunham also has 5 acres in Port-au-Prince for her personal residence.

But she still loves Haiti, so much so that she launched the one-woman,
47-day hunger strike in 1992 on behalf of the Haitian people. She spent half
of that time hospitalized so doctors could keep an eye on her and make sure
she was getting enough liquids.

"It was the only way that I could get the attention of the American
government," she said.

Alva James-Johnson can be reached at ajjohnson@sun-sentinel.com or
954-356-4523.

Stay informed on Election 2004 and the race to Super Tuesday.
http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx