19104: Pierre Jean: In their own words - Haiti Progres of February 18, 2004 (fwd)

From: Pierre Jean <pierrejean2004@yahoo.com>

On its own website, the Haiti Progres article in
English illustrates the point I have been making
regarding the about-face of Ben Dupuy, PPN, Haiti
Progres (it is tough to tell where one ends and the
other begins since Ben Dupuy is at the center of it
all.)

Kim Ives in a previous post stated that PPN and
Lavalas were independent of each other, that PPN had
its own objectives, and that it never failed to
criticize Lavalas when it went astray.

Imagine my surprise when I read the following in this
article which can be found here:

http://www.haiti-progres.com/eng02-18.html

[ Stuff deleted - criticism of the Opposition and
Andre Apaid; factual comments on the armed rebels;
coverage of Ira Kurzban's actions on behalf of its
client, the Haitian government]

Congresswoman Maxine Waters also blasted Apaid and his
opposition front this week in a Feb. 11 statement. "It
is my belief that André Apaid is attempting to
instigate a bloodbath in Haiti and then blame the
government for the resulting disaster in the belief
that the United States will aid the so?called
protestors against President Aristide and his
government," she said.

Waters also praised Aristide "progressive economic
agenda" of investing in agriculture, public
transportation, health care, education, and
infrastructure. She called on the State Department to
"use its influence to help stabilize Haiti, provide
assistance for health, education and infrastructure
development" and on the mainstream press to
"discontinue the practice of repeating rumors and
innuendos and begin to spend quality time learning the
truth and writing the truth about what is really going
on in Haiti."

[End of quote]

What is incredible is that the same newspaper that
found fault with Lavalas on just about everything
regarding justice, transparency, and participation in
2001 and 2002, all of a sudden publishes this effusive
compliment of the Aristide administration without so
much as a comment or a reaction.

So my questions to Kim Ives of Haiti Progres today
are:

1. Is Maxine Waters correct in her assessment of the
progressive economic agenda of President Aristide?

2. Can Haiti Progres explain the incredible progress
and achievements that Lavalas made between February 7,
2001 and today in the domains of agriculture, public
transportation, health care, education, and
infrastructure?

3. Does Haiti-Progres believe that its criticism of
Lavalas from April 2001 is no longer warranted? If
yes, why?