19135: Ives: Re: 19104: Pierre Jean: In their own words - Haiti Progres of February 18, 2004 (fwd)

From: K. M. Ives <kives@toast.net>

"Pierre Jean" asks:

> 1. Is Maxine Waters correct in her assessment of the
> progressive economic agenda of President Aristide?

Partially correct. More progressive than previous Haitian and many Third
World governments? Yes. As progressive as it could be? No.

> 2. Can Haiti Progres explain the incredible progress
> and achievements that Lavalas made between February 7,
> 2001 and today in the domains of agriculture, public
> transportation, health care, education, and
> infrastructure?

First, Waters doesn't call the achievements "incredible." Second, the
government, during the 3 years you limit your assessment to, has been under
an aid embargo and increasing political/military attack despite its myriad
compromises. Nonetheless, it has tried and made some advances. Off the top
of my head (you can go back and check Michelle Karshan's updates in Bob's
archive, I don't have the time), the housing around the capital and out by
Morne Cabrit built with Taiwan's support; the alphabetization campaign which
opened 20,000 adult literacy centers where 320,000 people are following
classes; the overhauled airport main terminal sure looks nice; the 800 Cuban
doctors dispatched throughout Haiti and the 300-odd young Haitians being
trained as doctors in Cuba; there are quite a few new and repaired roads
around the capital, as well as new buses; some very nice new parks (I like
that one near the Nazon/Delmas intersection). In short, despite the
difficult straits the government finds itself in (which I think could be
compared to Cuba's "special period"), it has done a few things. For a more
on the agenda or its achievements, check out the Haiti Action Committee's
pamphlet "The U.S. War Against Haiti: Hidden from the Headlines" (see
www.haitiaction.net).

> 3. Does Haiti-Progres believe that its criticism of
> Lavalas from April 2001 is no longer warranted? If
> yes, why?

No. The criticisms were valid. But we are now watching what the PPN calls a
"macouto-bourgeois" alliance, with the support of the U.S. and France,
attempt a new coup d'etat. Dialectically, this is a much bigger problem. The
Macoutes and businessmen leading that assault which you seem to cheer are
the sectors which comprised the Duvalier power base and whose corruption,
greed, violence, and neglect dwarf anything you can point to under Lavalas
regimes. In fact, THEY are responsible for Haiti's miserable state today.

You know, during the Haitian revolution the fluidity of class struggle
caused alliances which were much more shifting and incongruous than anything
we see in Haiti recently. Let's return to the history books.

Kim Ives