19153: Esser: Disagreeing with Mr Seaga (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

The Jamaica Observer
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com

Editorial

Disagreeing with Mr Seaga
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

We have noted the proposal by the Jamaican Opposition leader, Mr
Edward Seaga, that President Jean-Bertrand Aristide should step down,
to pave the way for UN-organised elections in Haiti and for a
peace-keeping force to help restore order in the country.

While we understand the motive behind Mr Seaga's recommendation and
agree that his proposal has precedent in domestic and international
politics, we are concerned for the signal that it will send in Haiti.

For Mr Aristide's forced resignation, as we have consistently argued
in these columns, will suggest that there is reward for violence and
will likely do more to undermine democracy in Haiti rather than build
it. In the next round of disaffection, Mr Aristide's Lavalas movement
will have had the example of this episode.

Indeed, anyone who has followed the developments in Haiti for the
past several months can only have drawn the conclusion that the
so-called official Opposition was never intent on a peaceful,
political, constitutional and negotiated solution to the country's
crisis.

Imminent legislative elections, because of the end of life of
two-thirds of the Senate, provided a window of opportunity for
renewed agitation against the Aristide presidency. There was nothing
substantive in their demands for repairing the country's electoral
process, which they deem to be flawed.
In fact, they refused to name members to the electoral commission and
focused on a single agenda: the resignation of Mr Aristide.

It is hardly coincidental, we believe, that the violence and
insurgency in Haiti escalated in the immediate aftermath of Mr
Aristide's public acceptance in Kingston of the Caribbean Community's
initiative, under which the president would stay until the conclusion
of his term in 2006, but share power by naming a new prime minister
and government. Significantly, former right-wing death squad and coup
leaders who were in the woodwork all along made their public
reappearance, and despite the fancy footwork of the official
Opposition alliance, there has been no real attempt to create any
distance between themselves and the thugs who have taken over several
towns in Haiti.

The aim of the alliance all along was to foment a coup d'etat against
Mr Aristide. Mr Seaga's plan would not only reward such
anti-democratic behaviour, but would confirm Haiti on a path of
long-term instability by suggesting that the way to resolve political
conflicts and to dislodge governments is to get gunmen to shoot them
out of office.

Indeed, it is not an approach Mr Seaga would entertain in Jamaica nor
what we would want for our imperfect democracy. We have flirted with
this kind of politics with detrimental consequences and, happily,
having learnt from the mistakes, are substantially on the way to
mending our ways. Even through the stresses and strains of a
sometimes flawed process, we have been able to maintain faith with
the ballot box.

Part of the problem in Haiti, of course, stems from the mixed signals
that have been sent to the opposition by those whom they trust and
whose muscle and power they respect: the Western industrial powers,
particularly the United States.
America's condemnation of the violence and statements about the
legitimacy of Mr Aristide's presidency have lacked conviction. The
Opposition alliance believes it is receiving a nod and a wink from
Washington.

But there are a few practical issues to resolve, even if Mr Aristide
leaves. What will be the role of Chamblain and Phillippe in any new
government? Will they easily give up the spoils of violence?

Perhaps in the end Mr Aristide will have to go - which should only be
if he feels morally impelled to do so - but it should bring no reward
to those who assume power in Haiti. We have long held that Haiti must
be embraced by the rest of the region, and we supported the idea of
Caricom sanctions if he refused to compromise with the Opposition.

Caricom is unlikely to get US support for any post-Aristide
sanctions, but should the Opposition persist on this reckless course,
the Community should re-assess its relationship with the new Haiti.
.