19236: Senou: The Haitian Crisis (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

The Haitian Crisis

The 200 hundredth anniversary of the first black
nation passed unnoticed and today it is making the
headline on every major broadcast station everywhere
in the world. It is not for any reason that I call
2004 the Year of Engagement and Compassion. You have
no choice but to engage in the Haitian situation and
you are going to have some type of compassion for
these suffering folks in the Caribbean Sea.

Today if you are a human being you can see clearly
that the people of Haiti need your help and your
support.

President Bush is wrong for returning the Haitian
Refugees in this crucial moment. I call the American
Congress to intervene. May you have some merci for
these people!

The citizen of three countries fought for the Freedom
of this great nation, American, French and also the
Haitian Freedom Fighters. On October 9, 1779, without
the intervention of our ancestors during the Siege of
Savannah the outcome of the war could be very
different. This coming October, we expect to have a
Haitian Monument in Savannah.

My fellow American brothers and sisters don’t forget
my ancestors died for you, my fellow Americans don’t
forget my ancestors spilled their blood for your
Liberty. Today, the U.S. army is doing a great job in
helping many throughout the world. You have indeed
freed the women in Afghanistan, you are doing whatever
you can to bring peace in Iraq, and you have 37,000
men and women protecting freedom in South Korea. The
state of Haiti is located a few miles from South
Florida and the Haitian people need your assistance.

It is true that the Haitian people do not get along
with each other but leave it for another discussion.
Today, I ask you to help the grandsons and
granddaughters of those who fought for your freedom.
Remember the sacrifice of their grandparents.
Americans and Haitians, we are friends forever. Let
renew that friendship in helping each other.

My fellow Haitians brothers, sisters and friends of
Haiti, the state of Haiti is living the most crucial
moment of its existence and mishandling this current
crisis can make Haiti becoming the next Lebanon in the
region. We shall make the ultimate sacrifice to avoid
it at all cost. 24 years ago, the state of Lebanon was
the Paradise Capital in the Middle East; today it is a
no man land.

I called in the past for a political compromise
between the Lavalas and the Convergence/Opposition and
this should have been taken place before February 5 of
this year. Today, this is another story.

I follow the Haitian crisis from day one and these
folks; they called “Rebels” today, were loyalist and
defending the regime in place. Today, they change side
and we see other folks who take advantage of this
volatile situation and join the Rebel movement.  I
call that another evolution of the Haitian crisis.

This is not the time to call “Criminal or Terrorist”
someone you have to deal with either today or tomorrow
or may even drive you out. Eventually, one has to talk
to the Rebel Commander. These folks are … serious and
if you think that they are going to lay down their
weapons and get busted, vous avez l’esprit en Espagne.

The state of Israel is talking with Hezbollah and a
few weeks ago they exchanged prisoners. In doing so,
the State of Israel recognizes that armed group.  We
shall take a good look at it.

I know some of you are good in playing politic and
most of you do not understand the language of
Diplomacy but force. And today, there cannot be any
compromise without addressing the status of the
Rebels.

Today, who has the real power in Haiti? Whatever
agreement between the Lavalas and the
Convergence/Opposition, they have to rely on foreign
troop to implement it. An agreement could spare a
bloody take over of the Capital, which is coming
shortly. These folks took control of Cap-Haitien
without any resistance and the police force is there
to keep order not to fight a war my friend.  And we
all know the rules of engagement: no foreign troop
will ever enter into a war zone unless it is in the
best interest of that country.

A final assault on the Capital will be deadly and the
time of finding a peaceful compromise is running thin.
I’m afraid to say that the current president may not
have the last word and since his is unable to regain
control of the occupied territory; therefore, we need
to explore another alternative.

Keep your passion at bay and this is not the time to
be too emotional. Let your brain, and not your
emotion, dictates what should be done

The latest international proposal is not workable
since it fails to include or address the Rebel
Movement. While the negotiation was in process these
folks continued to gain more territories.

The sudden change of event in Haiti caught everyone by
surprise and it is filled with passion and emotion:
the Rebel commander is fascinating in getting rid of
the seating president, Mr. Metayer is seeking revenge
for his brother and the people are tired of this
ongoing and everlasting negotiation.

 Last weekend the Haitian president accepted a share
of power since this dude will do everything to
complete his term. He could have accepted the same
thing three years ago, the Summer of 2001.  and the
opposition until last month had called for a regime
change, these folks may have some difficulties to
explain a 360 degree turn around. Consequently, they
will not accept this current proposition.

At this present moment, we need to start asking the
Big Question and the situation is very serious. Almost
one third of the country is under the rules of the
Rebel and the Code of Napoleon shall be in effect in
the occupied territory. This current situation cannot
go uncheck. Usually, when things get tense in the
Capital we ask our people to go back to the
countryside and these folks who are from the northern
part of the country cannot go home and it is a little
risky to go to unfamiliar territory right now.

At this present moment, a final assault on the Capital
may be unavoidable but we can find a way to make it
less bloody.

I call upon the international community specially the
United States, Canada, France, the OAS and the CARICOM
to send an international force to bring order back to
Haiti at the cessation of the Hostilities.

NB: The Atlanta Convention, June 25-26, 2004
For more info: hcrinfor@hcronline.org
http://www.hcronline.org

Joseph Alfred
Founder/CEO