19271: (Chamberlain) Haiti foreign minister in Paris for crisis talks (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

     PARIS, Feb 26 (Reuters) - A Haitian government delegation led by
Foreign Minister Joseph Philippe Antonio arrived in Paris on Thursday ahead
of crisis talks proposed by France, an official at the Haitian embassy
said.
     France, the former colonial power, has invited the Haitian government
and opposition leaders to Paris on Friday to discuss ways to end a
political crisis that has sparked a three-week rebellion on the island.
     The Haitian embassy official, who declined to be identified, gave no
other details. It was not immediately clear whether the members of the
Haiti opposition also planned to come to Paris.
     The French Foreign Ministry said earlier on Thursday that it was still
waiting to hear whether Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin's invitation
for talks would be taken up by both sides.
     "We have made clear this past week our readiness to receive -- in
separate consultations of course -- members of the Haiti political
opposition and the government," the ministry said in a statement.
     "We remain ready and wait to see whether either side will follow
through on their plans," it added.
     Villepin issued a statement on Wednesday calling on President
Jean-Bertrand Aristide to step down and make way for a transitional
government of national unity.
     It also proposed immediately sending an international peace force --
made up of police from unspecified contributing nations -- to restore order
and providing assistance for new elections.
     Washington has delayed action over the crisis. President George W.
Bush has rejected Aristide's plea for help to quell the rebellion, saying a
political settlement must come first.