19294: Esser: Re: 19279: Dreyfuss: RE: 19264: Slavin: (Kurtzban) H Rebels US Ops (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

Apaid's nationality is in the end up to Haitian law and not Joel
Dreyfuss' sentiments about it. Yes, Apaid gave work to Haitians in
his sweatshops. I sincerely hope that you do not consider sweatshops
as gifts to Haiti and it's people. Speaking of working conditions for
Haitians: was it not Aristide that raised the minimum wage? I don't
remember Andy Apaid calling for that to happen, correct me if I am
wrong. If you do some research you can find the testimony of Apaid's
"happy" workers and figure out for yourself if he is truly a friend
of those, as you claim, helped by him.

Speaking of Ira Kurzban's compensation, would you like to compare
his, to the many more millions of U.S. (and European) taxpayer money
that went into the hands of those that would like to dispose of the
democratic process and any notions of constitutionality in Haiti? Him
being compensated, is lawful, common international practice and
receiving or giving funds for performed services is not an egregious
wrongdoing, is it? Soliciting money, as well as accepting it, from
foreign governments to disenfranchise Haitians is not quite the same
and also shows, that the "opposition" has real credibility problems
within it's own country, as evidenced by their impotence to affect
change by legal means and independently of foreign politicians such
as Dominique de Villepin, that continue to do the bidding against
Aristide and his internationally recognized government.

Whatever Aristide's shortcomings may be, in the end he was elected
and has unarguably more Haitians behind him than the elements of the
Haitian bourgeoisie opposing him (aka "opposition"),  that have a
tough time to truly distance themselves  from the people currently
terrorizing the country. And, as I am sure you are aware of, Haitians
didn't flee from Aristide as they did from the terror of Fraph meted
out by some of the same folks now so nicely dubbed "rebels". Have the
said sweatshop owners and political allies of convicted human rights
abusers shown any vision for the country? Not, really. If they indeed
are standing for democratic principles: why no elections? It is
because the Haitian people couldn't even be forced to vote for them.
("Forced elections"; I know, I borrowed the idea because it's rather
intriguing, sorry Kathleen!) In the end all this is not so much a
question about how much one likes Aristide, it's about how much
respect one has for the Haitian people, their vote and their ability
to choose their leaders without foreigners circumventing the rule of
law by directly trying to overthrow the government.

It is puzzling that you mention the chimeres, but seem utterly
unconcerned by the actions of Jodel Chamblain and his allies. Are
Haitians taking to the high seas right now because of street gangs,
or is it because they have seen the opposition's armed wing rampaging
before? Where did the news of recent house to house searches for
political opponents come from: was it Fraph/Military held Okap or St.
Marc, which is as we know controlled by groups loyal to Jean-Bertrand
Aristide? How can you be a friend of democracy if you are not opposed
to violence in the name of the opposition? This all really boils down
to this: democracy, admittedly in it's infantile stages, or violence
and overthrow of democracy through extra legal activity. By no means is
this a fight by the people for liberation., nor is it by any stretch
of the imagination a fight against violence and misrule, just look at
who the actors are among the rebels as well as the opposition.
.