19359: (Chamberlain) Haitian Immigrants (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

   By JOHN PAIN

   MIAMI, Feb 27 (AP) -- Haitian-Americans and immigrant advocates
criticized the Bush administration Friday for sending more than 500 Haitian
migrants back to face a violent uprising in their homeland.
   The Coast Guard returned 531 people, including infants, near the capital
of Port-Au-Prince on Friday. That was the number of Haitians who had been
intercepted at sea near their nation's coast since Feb. 21.
   "It is our intention, upon rescuing Haitian migrants from peril at sea
aboard grossly overloaded and unseaworthy vessels, to immediately
repatriate them in a safe and secure manner," said Rear Adm. Harvey E.
Johnson Jr., commander of the Seventh Coast Guard District.
   Haitian-American groups and immigrant advocates wanted the government to
consider the rebellion in Haiti that has left about 80 people dead.
   "Given the current political crisis in Haiti, we could be returning
people to their death," said Cheryl Little, executive director of the
Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center. "It is unconscionable that the world's
greatest democracy is not doing more to welcome refugees from a tiny
neighbor that is teetering on the edge of political chaos."
   The Rev. Jonas Georges, a Haitian-American activist, said the decision
showed a "lack of consideration for human suffering."
   "One would think that the American government would at least give these
people a chance to sort of catch their breath until things calm down," he
said. "But taking them back home, I think, is outrageous."
   President Bush has repeated the government's policy to turn back any
Haitian migrant trying to reach U.S. shores.
   The activists called on Bush to take more action to stop the fighting in
Haiti to avoid a mass exodus of Haitians to Florida. Under Haiti's military
dictatorship between 1991 and 1994, more than 65,000 Haitians were
intercepted at sea by the Coast Guard. Most were sent home.
   Coast Guard officials are monitoring growing violence in Haiti for signs
of an increase in illegal migration to Florida.
   "While we have seen a recent surge in migrants from Haiti, at this time
there are no indicators of a mass migration," Johnson said.