19371: Sylvain: RE: 19338: Lawless: What, exactly, are the chimeres? (fwd)

From: patrick sylvain <sylvaipa@hotmail.com>

The word chimère as always been used primarily among the French-Haitian
(Creole) language speakers to refer to an emotional condition or a temporary
state of being. For Example:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

      Misye trè an chimè = This man is really upset or this man has a bad
temper

      Manmzèl trè chimerik = This woman is very volatile or this woman is a
firecracker

     Talè mwen pa chimè sou ou = I'll soon pass my rage on you or I can get
really nasty

Politically speaking, the word (noun) Chimère replaced the infamous term
Zenglendo that became unfashionable soon after Aristide's re-election in 2000.
But there was a short co-existence, not a co-usage, throughout 1999 and into
2000 when Danny Toussaint's supporters were taking to the streets.  After
Jean-Dominique's Assassination in April 2000, the subsequent burning by
Aristide supporters of several radio stations and political offices who were
very vocal against Aristide, the word Chimère became synonymous with the Lumpen
of Aristide. By March of 2001 through rallies, looting, kidnapping and the
outright shouting, even beating, of anyone who was opposed to Aristide the word
Chimère took on a serious political and psychological meaning to Haitians. Now,
a Chimè has the same psychological connotation as a Macoute. The difference is
that a macoute was a legal entity recognized and supported by the state,
whereas a Chimè is a de-facto supporter of Aristide who is paid on deeds by
ONA.