19406: Hess: Re: new elections (fwd)

From: DougRHess@aol.com

Hello. I was once very involved in Haiti and it has been years since I have
been involved on any deep level. However, the current situation is spurring me
to get involved once again. Thanks to all who participate on this list and to
Bob Corbett for moderating it. A well moderated discussion list is a gem.

Here are several factors that I think must be considered to work towards the
ability of the situation in Haiti to stabilize. These are in no particular
order. Some are relevant to short term, others longer term and many to both.
These are just from thinking out loud, so I appreciate any reflection on them.

--How can the international community help reduce the flow of drug money and
guns into Haiti? (Consideration here must be given to the fact that it has
been very hard to control the influx of such money and the attendant corruption
in many other countries.)

--What kind of effort would be needed to establish a functioning justice
system in Haiti? This includes appropriate police, judicial systems and defendant
protections, as well as a proper sense or proportion in prosecution. People
involved in past violence must not be given a free ride, but opposing forces in
the nation must not also engage in over zealous prosecution of every possible
rumor of a crime. This is a difficult balance. Witness the bizarre campaign in
the US that stemmed from the emotions surrounding disdain for President
Clinton and what were probably legitimate wrong doings but not worthy of the kind
of prosecution he faced. Consider what would have happened to US politics had
former Vice-president Gore pushed much harder against the Supreme Court
decision against him. While not perfect analogies, the point is that a sense of
balance and sensitivity to prosecution (both criminal and civil) given the fragile
nature of governing in Haiti is required.

-- If President Aristide steps down now in favor of a constitutional
succession, would he be allowed to run again in the new elections? Allow here means
interpretation of the Constitution (since he didn't finish his term) as well as
allowed in the sense of continued violence, obstructionism and mass protests
on the part of his detractors. The 2nd sense of allowed might also apply to
anybody seen running as a "stand in" for President Aristide (twin as they
sometimes say in Haiti).

-- What connection to financing and control of development/relief projects do
everyday people in Haiti need to have such that progress is felt even if
terribly slow.

-- How will radical forces that are generally considered to be of the left
deal with inevitable compromise with international forces that are neo-liberal
(at best)?

-- How can reactionary forces from the elite communities and the former
military be tamed?

-- Which people should be prosecuted? How can/will the international
community deal with gross human rights violators that flee the country? How can Haiti
develop effective control over its borders?

Like I said, just random and incomplete thoughts outsold. Grist for the mill.
Thanks for any responses, private or on the list.

dougrhess@aol.com

Doug Hess
Ph.D. Student,
School of Public Policy & Administration,
George Washington University