19455: Knowles Re: 19443: Onlythetrue; No More Coups (fwd)

From: Phil <phildk@prodigy.net>

There's a problem with this stand.

    (1)    Haiti knows how to overthrow a government, but not how to run a
democracy
    (2)    Aristide has failed his people so miserably, they cry for relief
from this government.  In my last two visits I did not meet a person who
would defend Aristide. That's two years ago, and nothing has improved.
People have no jobs, hardly any food, declining health, and see no hope
ahead. Of course a coup is wrong - but they have lost hope and coup is what
they know how to do.
    (3)    If indeed the US is backing the rebels as you claim, it should be
publicized and broadcast. But just claiming it does nothing. I can claim the
moon is made of green cheese, too.
    (4)    The problem 'on the ground' is so serious.  Two groups want
Aristide out. Aristide tries to stay the course, without sufficient power to
insure it.  If it leads to more and more killing and destruction  - Haiti
loses.  To me, only force - trained, armed soldiers and or police - on the
ground in sight everywhere - can stop things now. It seems the French and
the Americans are ready - perhaps Canadians too - to land some forces. It's
a shame, but how else can this be stopped short of terribly bloody fighting
and destruction?

PDK