19538: Seraphin: STATEMENT ON HAITI BY SONNY SERAPHIN, FORMER AMBASSADOR OF HAITI IN TAIWAN (fwd)

From: Sonny Seraphin <sonny_seraphin@yahoo.com>

                   PRESSE RELEASE
                FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

>From  : SONNY SERAPHIN,
        Former Ambassador of Haiti in The Republic of
        China, where he has been living in self
        imposed exile for the past 5 years.

Contact : Sonny Seraphin (8862) 2421-1367

Date    : March 1st. 2004

RE      : MESSAGE OF CONGRATULATIONS TO THE HAITIAN
          PEOPLE AND THEIR FRIENDS.

        My name is Sonny Seraphin. I am a former
Ambassador of Haiti in the Republic of China, where I
have continued to live in self imposed exile for the
past 5 years.

        Today, I would like to send my warmest
congratulations to the brave people of Haiti, both
inside and outside of our country, and wish them a
"HAPPY NEW YEAR", as we celebrate the beginning of our
second independence after enduring 200 years of pains
and sufferings since our first independence in 1804.

         At this time, I would like to pay a special
tribute to our young people, the young students of our
primary and secondary schools, and most importanly to
our University students who have been in the forefront
of the fight to free haiti from the most savage
dictatorship established in the country by Jean
Bertrand Aritid, the former president. Thanks to the
courage demonstrated by those young people, Haiti is
now starting on a new path toward freedom, democracy,
peace, prosperity, and happiness.

          Also, for their greatest courage and spirit
of sacrifices, I wish to pay a very special tribute
and my highest respect to the CIVILIAN SOCIETY,
represented by the GROUP of 184, and to all the
political PARTIES, both inside and outside of the
GROUP CONVERGENCE. Their heroic efforts and actions,
using pacific means in a very difficult and dangerous
political environment, have been an inspiration for
all of us.

           I also would like to thank and present my
compliments to the former army officers who, in their
own ways, contributed to the voluntary resignation of
Jean Bertrand Aritide, preventing him from putting
into execution the threat of a blood bath that he had
promised to unleash on the unarmed Haitian population.
They certainly have their place in the new Haiti.

            The independent HAITIAN MEDIA have just
been magnificent. They have been doing such a terrific
job reporting the truth about Haiti at the risk of
their own lives, and paying such a dear price for
that: many journalists having been assassinated by the
corrupt narco-government of Aristide. I thank them
very much and praise them highly for their dedication
and moral courage.

             It is also my great pleasure to extend
my heartfelt thanks and gratitude to the United States
of America and France, as well as to other countries
which have played a decisive role in the resolution of
this political crisis. The worst is over.

             Now begins the real work, the tremendous
task of rebuilding our country, Haiti. We, the
haitinan people feel confident that, in unity and
solidarity, we can meet the challenge and achieve our
goal of a free, democratic, peaceful, happy, and
prosperous Haiti. We are persuaded that with the help
of God who has never abandoned us, and with the strong
and enthusiastic support of the International
Community, we shall succeed, we must and will succeed.

by :  Sonny Seraphin
      Ex-Ambassador of Haiti in Taiwan, Republic
      Of China

Tel   : (8862) 2421-1367
Email : sonny_seraphin@yahoo.com