19604: Lemieux: CNN Interview with Aristide (fwd)

From: JD Lemieux <lxhaiti@yahoo.com>

3/1/2004

Aristide: 'I call it a coup d'etat'

(CNN) --Hundreds of U.S. Marines are in Haiti securing key
points in the capital, Port-au-Prince, after President
Jean-Bertrand Aristide resigned and fled the country.

CNN's Lou Dobbs spoke to Aristide by telephone for one of
the former president's first interviews since landing in
the Central African Republic.

DOBBS: Mr. Aristide, first, you're in good health, you're
in appropriate accommodations?

ARISTIDE: Yes. But my mind is in Haiti, where they are
killing people, burning houses ... And that's why I call it
a real coup d'etat, a modern way to have modern kidnapping.

DOBBS: Mr. Aristide ... are you suggesting that you were
then in point of fact taken by force by U.S. military?

ARISTIDE: Of course, from Saturday -- from Saturday night,
the 28th ... I was told that ... I better leave. And under
a kind of diplomatic cover, they talked to me. And military
talked to me. American agents talked to me. Haitian agents
talked to me. And I finally realized it was true, we were
going to have bloodshed. And when I asked how many people
may get killed, and they said thousands may get killed. So
using that kind of force to lead a coup d'etat, it was
clear, as I said.

DOBBS: You made then, if I hear you, Mr. Aristide, a
difficult choice based on the assessment of those advisers
around you, and including American advisers, it sounds
like, for the public safety of those -- of your fellow
citizens, is that correct?

ARISTIDE: What is very clear is the fact that we have
military surrounding the airport, the palace, my house. In
the streets, we had some military maybe from other
countries, I don't know, but I know for sure there were a
lot of the American militaries with Haitians, well-armed
... And they told me in a clear and blunt way that
thousands of people will get killed once they start. So I
had to do my best to avoid that bloodshed ... That's why I
call it again and again a coup d'etat, a modern way to have
modern kidnapping.

DOBBS: Mr. Aristide, having made that decision, and now in
the Central African Republic, is there -- have you received
the support of the United Nations, spokesmen -- the
representatives of the French government in particular, the
Canadian government talked with you and supported your
decision to leave Haiti and offer further counsel?

ARISTIDE: Maybe if I add this point, people will understand
... I spent 20 hours in an American plane with military
guys. And one ... baby, one year and a half old, whose
father is an American agent, and the mother is Haitian. Not
even this little baby has the right to get out ... when we
had the first step -- the first stop. And when we have to
go to the second one, they didn't want to tell me where
they were going to meet with me. We didn't have one single
phone call, no telephone was used, because they refused.

And this little baby spending 20 hours in an American
plane, with American guys. Only 20 minutes before they
landed here, they told me, finally, we were coming to land,
on the French bases with military -- French military. And
fortunately, we had five ministers from the government who
greeted us in this very warm way. And we are grateful to
them ...

DOBBS: I can only guess at the emotion that you must go
through. The emotions in Haiti today from all quarters of
Haitian society. Your family, Mr. Aristide, we understand
that at least part of your family is in New York tonight,
is that correct?

ARISTIDE: Yes. I don't know if the first lady, who is an
American lady, is allowed to go to Miami to see her family.
And I don't know if I am free to leave where I am to go to
New York or elsewhere.

I have three more people with me. We are here after the
terrible experience which we had in [an] American plane, in
which [the] American military [were] not allowing us to
have contact with our people, not allowing a baby one year
and a half to get out from the plane when they stopped the
first time, when they stopped the second time ... It is a
tragedy. You need to understand that.

DOBBS: Indeed. Mr. Aristide, do you have, first, any desire
to come to the United States, and secondly, what are your
immediate plans?

ARISTIDE: If they allow me, I will be very delighted to go
to the United States whenever it's necessary or possible,
meet people, tell the truth. ... They want to create
confusion. And I want to tell the truth, not confusion.

DOBBS: Mr. Aristide, we thank you very much for talking
with us, and thank you again, sir.

ARISTIDE: Thank you.