19635: Lawless: Is it Aristide? (fwd)

From: Robert Lawless <robert.lawless@wichita.edu>

According to the current AP story, "They were telling me that if I don't
leave they would start shooting, and be killing in a matter of time,"
Aristide said during the brief interview via speaker phone. He spoke with a
thick Haitian accent, his voice obscured at times by a bad connection.

I never heard Aristide speak English with bad grammar, and I wouldn't
characterize his speak as having "a think Haitian accent." What's going on?